Fafnir

2024 Apr 14 04:49:26
 :havesum:

vash99

2024 Apr 11 09:36:15
yeppers :c-cat:

thelufias

2024 Apr 11 09:32:52
Always great having a "Good Team" caring for you.

vash99

2024 Apr 10 10:02:05
yeah i am their a good team

DarkAngel

2024 Apr 10 07:24:44
Not sure if it is just us but we used to love a good steak and now when we get one and cook them up...they taste bland no matter what we do to them. WAAA!

thelufias

2024 Apr 09 08:07:08
Good to see them taking good care of you...and you taking care of you.

vash99

2024 Apr 08 09:43:28
got the chemo list today , 2 drugs one pill one iv twice a month

thelufias

2024 Apr 06 06:40:04
Glad you're back...Yup...Moving operating systems is not a good thing...

AngellsGraphics

2024 Apr 05 11:39:42
Glad to be back after my nasty pc crash trying to move my windows to an ssd, got rid of my windows and never transferred.  :havesum:

thelufias

2024 Apr 05 12:16:47
Don't zoom to fast...we still have Dragons flying around

Pommerlis

2024 Apr 05 11:38:44
Just zooming by saying hello!

Radkres

2024 Apr 03 10:57:19
Most of the Time Was nausea, Lack of Taste, Fatigue, Going to the Bathroom. Etc ...

Attic Donations

Link to the thread

All donations are greatly needed, appreciated, and go to the Attic/Realms Server fees and upkeep

Thank you so much.

Vote for site! 2024

Vote for our site daily by CLICKING this image:

Then go here: to post your vote
Awards are emailed when goals are reached:
Platinum= 10,000 votes
Silver= 2,500 votes
Bronze= 1,000 votes
Pewter= 300 votes
Copper= 100 Votes

Featured Art

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW

Fae in Pink © AngellsGraphics

TOTW

Witch of the Westmoreland © Paul

Monthly Contest Winner ~ March
~Dungeons and Dragons~

1st Place:

The new Cleric by Dreamer

Weekly Winners Prizes

3 Items from Sponsors Showcase

1 prize from Fantasies Realm Market

:grenade:

Change you look!

Members
  • Total Members: 244
  • Latest: Jammixx
Stats
  • Total Posts: 99137
  • Total Topics: 12298
  • Online Today: 553
  • Online Ever: 3845
  • (September 15, 2023, 06:21:15 AM)
Users Online

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day

Author Topic: Linux Newbie  (Read 1541 times)

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
  • Recipient of "Grumpy Old Man" award.
Re: Linux Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 09:40:32 AM »
So is there some install of Linux that can run from the CD/DVD while IN Windows?

Offline rrkknight3

• Sir Knight
  • Attic Icon
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 10:49:02 AM »
I'm at work, McG, and so will not be able to respond much until tonight. 

So is there some install of Linux that can run from the CD/DVD while IN Windows?
Not exactly.  You can run from a Live DVD which, unless you tell it to do so, will leave your hard disk (and Windows) alone.

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 02:21:24 PM »
Ok thanks for that Sir Knight.  I do have a bootable DVD with a Linux that runs entirely from that disk.  I have used it a couple times to get files off those NAT drives I mentioned before.  Now I have an external I need to check cause I think it is a Linux system.    M$ really has no idea what a mess they've made of their own bed by being so snobby.  I hope to live long enough to see them pay for it.
IF I can get Linux to do the stuff I want to do I'd just switch to it.   But, I bet it won't run most of the stuff I want to do.  So, it will end up being just a toy, a learning thing.

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 02:54:49 AM »
Oh man careful on that wishing stuff!   Anything can happen!  And I'm working on the new DVD stuff.   Like to boot from.  Got to be DVD, the ISO files are 1.8 gigs minimum.  Mmm!

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 02:56:16 AM »
USB.  Like, a thumb drive?  I must have some old 4 gig USB thumbs around here someplace to experiment with!

Online parkdalegardener

• Root Master
  • Ranking poster
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 05:29:57 AM »
McG the link I provided you originally was to live versions of Linux that can be run from DVD, USB, CD and so on. Reiterating my previous comment, try them all out till you find one you like. No changes to your Windoze system and you can chuck it if you don't like it.

Take one of those spare hard drives you were saying you have and put it into your Windoze box. When you find a flavour you like install to that extra drive and dual boot your system between Win and whatever.
Illegitimus non carborundum
don't let the bastards grind you down

Offline MilosGulan

• GameRanger
  • Working It
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 11:26:13 PM »
I used to have Ubuntu 10 beside Windows before two years, but decided that I need one laptop only for it but still din't get one.

I remember that I installed Gnome shell and it worked so good and it was really nice to work with it. I am missing it a lot but started to work with android tablets and phones as cheaper variant.

Here is something about it, I remember that I could minimize my icons and do all sort of nice things https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/ubuntu-gnome
Dreams don't work unless You do...

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 03:45:40 AM »
McG the link I provided you originally was to live versions of Linux that can be run from DVD, USB, CD and so on. Reiterating my previous comment, try them all out till you find one you like. No changes to your Windoze system and you can chuck it if you don't like it.

Take one of those spare hard drives you were saying you have and put it into your Windoze box. When you find a flavour you like install to that extra drive and dual boot your system between Win and whatever.
Those links are where I got both versions of the Linux I downloaded .iso files for.   Mint v. 19 Cinnamon and Ubuntu v. 18.04.1  At 1.8 gigs and 1.9 gigs respectively.   These are .iso's to burn to bootable DVD's that my motherboards BIOS will respect.   This being an older Gigabyte GA EP45 DS3L (rev. 1.0) socket LG775 mobo, the thing offers BRAND NEW features usable then, abandoned in current issues.   Will be creating using NERO Burning ROM 9 on good ol DVD-R's.   Heh!   I plan to see this up and going during this, Thanksgiving Week!   It's a one man, two cat PARTY!   :yippee: :winks:

Whoa that was interesting.   SPARE hd's?  You'd be talking about the aged spotty spinners I have replaced.  Being as there are no spinner drives I have left I deem usable.  Fit for the bin.   Except for a pair of 80 gig IDE drives.  Might use those to resurrect an old A6 64 bit system, if if if if.   

Too many of those two letter words there to suit the foreseeable future.

So   One of the LIVE! builds it is!   IT's decided.    :yippee:

Offline rrkknight3

• Sir Knight
  • Attic Icon
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 04:49:46 AM »
Some systems (BIOS's, motherboards) can boot from USB disk drives.  Those can usually be made to think they're booting from a USB drive with a USB stick / thumb drive.  This will allow you to test the various versions without creating a pile of coasters, but is harrier (like  :wolvie: harrier) than just burning a DVD if you haven't done it.

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 05:19:03 AM »
The last version of linux I created a bootable disk for was in 2012.     And I'd noticed that it was better at picking up my hardware than earlier versions.   So, my venerable old war horse and all its accouterments should be recognized handily by these new distros.  That is my thinking going in now, 6 years later on 11 year old hardware mixed with newer stuff like the 3 SSD's. 
I'll finish this new render and go for Nero 9. 

participial