Chat Room

What's Up

vash99

2024 Apr 18 10:21:20
im ok its lingering from the surgery from the surgery

thelufias

2024 Apr 17 10:53:32
Gooooooood Morning EVERYONE....It's Wet Wednesday...

Radkres

2024 Apr 16 02:03:49
O.o Might Talk to the On Call Nurse And Ask about it. :MARILY:

thelufias

2024 Apr 16 10:02:29
Don't let it get out of hand...

vash99

2024 Apr 15 11:30:46
my lower left side is bugging me today

Fafnir

2024 Apr 14 04:49:26
 :havesum:

vash99

2024 Apr 11 09:36:15
yeppers :c-cat:

thelufias

2024 Apr 11 09:32:52
Always great having a "Good Team" caring for you.

vash99

2024 Apr 10 10:02:05
yeah i am their a good team

DarkAngel

2024 Apr 10 07:24:44
Not sure if it is just us but we used to love a good steak and now when we get one and cook them up...they taste bland no matter what we do to them. WAAA!

thelufias

2024 Apr 09 08:07:08
Good to see them taking good care of you...and you taking care of you.

vash99

2024 Apr 08 09:43:28
got the chemo list today , 2 drugs one pill one iv twice a month

thelufias

2024 Apr 06 06:40:04
Glad you're back...Yup...Moving operating systems is not a good thing...

AngellsGraphics

2024 Apr 05 11:39:42
Glad to be back after my nasty pc crash trying to move my windows to an ssd, got rid of my windows and never transferred.  :havesum:

thelufias

2024 Apr 05 12:16:47
Don't zoom to fast...we still have Dragons flying around

Attic Donations

Link to the thread

All donations are greatly needed, appreciated, and go to the Attic/Realms Server fees and upkeep

Thank you so much.

Vote for site! 2024

Vote for our site daily by CLICKING this image:

Then go here: to post your vote
Awards are emailed when goals are reached:
Platinum= 10,000 votes
Silver= 2,500 votes
Bronze= 1,000 votes
Pewter= 300 votes
Copper= 100 Votes

Featured Art

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW

Fae in Pink © AngellsGraphics

TOTW

Witch of the Westmoreland © Paul

Monthly Contest Winner ~ March
~Dungeons and Dragons~

1st Place:

The new Cleric by Dreamer

Weekly Winners Prizes

3 Items from Sponsors Showcase

1 prize from Fantasies Realm Market

:grenade:

Change you look!

Members
  • Total Members: 244
  • Latest: Jammixx
Stats
  • Total Posts: 99215
  • Total Topics: 12298
  • Online Today: 1079
  • Online Ever: 3845
  • (September 15, 2023, 06:21:15 AM)
Users Online

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day

Author Topic: Computer with W8.1 out  (Read 10445 times)

Offline rrkknight3

• Sir Knight
  • Attic Icon
Re: Computer with W8.1 out
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2017, 05:09:04 PM »
Great to hear that you're taming the beast!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Aelin

• Great Priestess of the corridors
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • archaeologist-cheerleader of Attic
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2017, 05:15:59 PM »
Yeah, I need this little yellow guy here!
Check FRM for great products

Offline Aelin

• Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2017, 10:24:54 AM »
Ok, I have opened on new computer a scene in DS3 (character with few clothes) and I haven't move in the program. Result: CPU at 100% :thud:  :explode: :tooey:
Even after one minute, no change, so program is closed.
I had high CPU for a moment with Vista or W8.1, but never like that and permanently just for a scene.
If it's the case for DS3, it's impossible to install and use Poser. And completly useless for DS4.

So for the moment if I want to continue 3D, no matter the state of disk in the other computer, I have to deal with.

I won't touch anything before the next week.
So what I need to try to 'reinstall' PC in the state of origin? Just the bootable USB for Windows 8.1?
If I must do an image of the 'identical computer', can I do that on my external disk, without lost my files already on? (I know it's the case for bootable, so I wonder for image of system)

Offline mtdana

« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2017, 10:56:17 AM »
Hi Aelin,
Sometimes I have scenes take long time to load, then next time same scene is fast. :ghost:

But check on render tab if DS is set for IRAY - change to 3Delight.

Also check how much RAM your new PC has and post it here.

Even with 3Delight video card can be issue on new computer - if it is a desktop consider a future update to new video card.
Good luck

Offline Aelin

• Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2017, 11:54:15 AM »
I use Daz Studio 3, not DS4 - I know too much how DS4 eat a computer (even without iray). I'm not ready to open again a DS4 by the way, like it was in action when the previous computer crashed.
I loaded same scene twice, the second time 1 hour after the first. Each time computer can't do anything, CPU is crazy. But with a computer which can't stay more than few minutes on youtube because fan is quickly in action and cpu is high, it's not a surprise. First time I have this issue, never had with Vista nor W8.

Nope, I guess own a computer with W10 is just a wasting time. It's mainly the same computer (HP, notebook, etc...) than previous but the difference is it's a W10 now - no choice. W10 is a mess - thank you M$!
I can't upgrade anything like it's a new computer, and I can't take more in new technologies for a long time. I took what I could taken, but even the bigger wasn't better; Acer? No, thanks.

At the end, I'm just blocked, turning around web for nothing. And sometimes just do that isn't in the taste of W10.

Chiron

« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2017, 02:00:52 PM »
Ok, I have opened on new computer a scene in DS3 (character with few clothes) and I haven't move in the program. Result: CPU at 100% :thud: :explode: :tooey:
Even after one minute, no change, so program is closed.
I had high CPU for a moment with Vista or W8.1, but never like that and permanently just for a scene.
If it's the case for DS3, it's impossible to install and use Poser. And completly useless for DS4.

So for the moment if I want to continue 3D, no matter the state of disk in the other computer, I have to deal with.

I won't touch anything before the next week.
So what I need to try to 'reinstall' PC in the state of origin? Just the bootable USB for Windows 8.1?
If I must do an image of the 'identical computer', can I do that on my external disk, without lost my files already on? (I know it's the case for bootable, so I wonder for image of system)

Hi Aelin,

sorry for answering you this late, I had a very busy afternoon.

Yes, I think you're right: I'm afraid that at M$ they forgot who is the master and who is the slave, so now the operating system is the master and takes the lion's share of the system resources - a little like bureaucracy in a totalitarian state: it's the citizen at their service instead of the other way around as it should be. Bah, whatever. I find your decision to turn back to Win8.1 perfectly understandable.

I assume that you already have copy of all the files you want to keep, and that those copies are all verified. The latter part is important because if a copy contains an error and you overwrite the only source you have, that file is gone forever. So if you aren't sure I would recommend (and insist) that you make sure before proceeding.

If I read you right you intend to re-install Win 8.1 on the disk currently mounted in your old laptop - the one that could have been the cause of the problem. There are two possibilities: either you take the risk and pretend that the disk is healthy, or you run a thorough disk check before getting started. I would recommend the latter because else you might find out too late (after wasting all the time it takes to install a system) that the situation is the same as before (i.e., the system doesn't work) - or, even worse, the problem could reappear once you have already begun to trust the freshly reinstalled system. If you browse the web for "hard disk check" you should find several HD-check programs for free - try at MajorGeeks.com, they use to have pretty good free stuff and they explain you how to use it.

Now, where comes the 'new' Win8.1 from? As far as I know (I have very little experience with Win8.1) it is meant to be installed from a DVD, but installing it from a specifically prepared USB should also work. If you don't already have the USB it would be better to get a DVD (more official, less potential problems) - but it costs dear money. A way around would be to buy a much cheaper downloadable version in ISO format and then burn it yourself onto a DVD - just make as sure as possible that the source is reliable.

I hope this will help you a little. Should you have further questions, just ask - and with a bit of luck you'll get an answer from someone who knows Win8.1 better than me :smile:

Crossing my fingers for you  :thumb_up: :winks:

Offline mtdana

« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2017, 02:49:37 PM »
I use Daz Studio 3, not DS4 - I know too much how DS4 eat a computer (even without iray). I'm not ready to open again a DS4 by the way, like it was in action when the previous computer crashed.
I loaded same scene twice, the second time 1 hour after the first. Each time computer can't do anything, CPU is crazy. But with a computer which can't stay more than few minutes on youtube because fan is quickly in action and cpu is high, it's not a surprise. First time I have this issue, never had with Vista nor W8.
Sounds to me like video on new computer is too weak, your old laptop had Nvidia - right?. Some PCs are only good for web and email, ok  if that is all you do. Any chance to exchange it for one with better specs? I hope I'm wrong but I don't think W8 will fix all the slowness.
Good Luck!!!!

Chiron

« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2017, 03:39:33 PM »

Opps sorry, I forgot that part.

Yes, if you have enough space on your external disk there is no problem: the image is just a file and if it's created with a serious software it won't ovrwrite anything else. Just keep in mind that the image-file, though compressed to some extent, is going to be pretty large anyway, as it will bring along the whole contents of the 'twin' computer - it must contain much more than the visible files, stuff like boot sector, partition table and so on, and you can seldom choose which files you want to take and which ones you want to leave.
This means that once you transfer the image onto your old laptop you'll have to delete plenty of stuff that you don't want there.

Another point is that the two computers must be really identical for all that concerns the hardware: if the other one has a different hard drive, for instance, once on your laptop the new OS won't be able to read the hard disk.

Thus I'd rather use this solution only as a last resort, if all the rest fails.

Chiron

« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2017, 03:47:22 PM »
like to say here I'm looking at getting the working one working well enough for you to work
Chiron is looking to repair old one with win 8
Just elementary arithmetics, my dear Watson: if the hardware worked fine on Win7 and now is sweating and snorting and panting on Win10, who kidnapped the difference? :tearlaugh:

Online thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Straight Jackets are FREE
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2017, 04:07:22 PM »
Just a thought Aelin....  Is this a NEW HP Laptop?  If so, have you tried going to their support page?

About a year ago my Brother got a HP Laptop that came with Win 10....he was use to Win 8 and went to the HP site and they did have a download to switch from 10 to 8.  It took him a long time go do this but it wiped all Win 10 items off the board and loaded up Win 8.  Don't know if they still offer that.  I would check for you but they require Model No and Serial Number for looking it up.