Chat Room

What's Up

Fafnir

2024 Mar 28 06:20:23
 :easter5:

vash99

2024 Mar 27 10:19:38
yeah well at least the chemo my doctor suggested is a lot less harsh than when my mom had it

Radkres

2024 Mar 26 10:42:06
I Hope You Come up Negative on Cancer! Chemo is no Fun!  :3flower;

vash99

2024 Mar 26 10:14:09
i did the doctor was slightly concerned but its already fading i go back to work next week with limitations and a referral to an oncologist for blood work and possible chemo

thelufias

2024 Mar 26 12:06:16
Any bruising should be reported to your Doctor if you didn't know how it got there.

vash99

2024 Mar 23 11:02:10
i do im always walking around this part of town it helps but yesterday i saw a big bruise on my abdomen its already fading but it caught me off guard

Radkres

2024 Mar 22 12:27:16
Reminder Do Your Home Work Too! Do Not Be My Aunt Who Does nothing unless they are standing There!  :hug:

thelufias

2024 Mar 22 09:20:19
That's a good thing vash...they push you...but it's worth it in the end.

vash99

2024 Mar 21 09:34:30
im going to msc in olive branch this weekend for me its physical therapy

thelufias

2024 Mar 21 04:14:51
Snow Tomorrow....we shall see....if not....we won't see

vash99

2024 Mar 19 09:59:20
 :havesum:

Fafnir

2024 Mar 19 05:36:57
 :toast:

Pommerlis

2024 Mar 19 04:54:08
Renovating is hard work!

vash99

2024 Mar 18 09:45:35
the food is overseasoned and they wake u up every two hours to check vitals, blood test , give the occasional tylonol  i got more sleep in one night home last night than four days in the hospital lolon another note i found the fifth incision its a lot longer than the rest and it stings

thelufias

2024 Mar 18 10:49:35
I know what you mean Vash...They wake you up to give you a sleeping pill LOL

Attic Donations

Link to the thread

All donations are greatly needed, appreciated, and go to the Attic/Realms Server fees and upkeep

Thank you so much.

Vote for site! 2024

Vote for our site daily by CLICKING this image:

Then go here: to post your vote
Awards are emailed when goals are reached:
Platinum= 10,000 votes
Silver= 2,500 votes
Bronze= 1,000 votes
Pewter= 300 votes
Copper= 100 Votes

Featured Art

Weekly Winners

Click images to view

SAOTW

Das Mäuschen © Lienchen

TOTW

Metallica / Lethal Injection (TGIF) © oldeekdog

Monthly Contest Winner ~ February
~Space Fantasy~

1st Place:

R01 Nebula Patrol Flight by Agent0013

Weekly Winners Prizes

3 Items from Sponsors Showcase

1 prize from Fantasies Realm Market

:grenade:

Change you look!

Members
  • Total Members: 244
  • Latest: Jammixx
Stats
  • Total Posts: 98813
  • Total Topics: 12309
  • Online Today: 1078
  • Online Ever: 3845
  • (September 15, 2023, 06:21:15 AM)
Users Online

Giveaway of the Day

Giveaway of the Day

Author Topic: How-To's twixt DS and Poser  (Read 8282 times)

Online Agent0013

• Agent Double-0-Hiccup
  • Attic Icon
  • Keep Looking Up!
Re: How-To's twixt DS and Poser
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 03:07:04 PM »
The main point is that OBJ files contain no rigging. The format was not created for that purpose.
DAZ Studio, Bryce, Poser, Wings 3D, Howler, Blender, PSP, Hexagon, MSO PowerPoint & Word, just a few of the programs I use.
:i-beback:

Offline Aelin

• Great Priestess of the corridors
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • archaeologist-cheerleader of Attic
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 03:22:38 PM »
The main point is that OBJ files contain no rigging. The format was not created for that purpose.
No, it's the reason for why cr2 and pp2 exist; in their codes you have .obj glued together to have articulated something (figure, furniture, wall with door...).

After, you have 2 kind of pp2:
- those including directly the geometries in their code
- those which like cr2 depends of a .obj somewhere in your runtime.

In the part of cr2 under, you have twice the same object. But can be 2 different object. All depends what is your creation.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Check FRM for great products

Online Agent0013

• Agent Double-0-Hiccup
  • Attic Icon
  • Keep Looking Up!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 03:50:13 PM »
There are other static formats in 3D, the most prominent being 3DS. In that format all polygons must be triangles. Poser can import 3DS, but DAZ Studio cannot; however, 3DS can be converted to OBJ. On just has to have an application that can import it and then export it in the other format. Most applications are already able to export in OBJ, so the task is to just find one that can import 3DS. As Poser can do that, it is a good candidate for the job. So too Bryce can do that!

As for the case of rigging, I use the Joint Editor in Poser or DAZ Studio for articulated props. I have yet to work with the creation of Armature Rigging, and am poised to learn it soon.
DAZ Studio, Bryce, Poser, Wings 3D, Howler, Blender, PSP, Hexagon, MSO PowerPoint & Word, just a few of the programs I use.

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
  • Recipient of "Grumpy Old Man" award.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 05:26:44 PM »
WHEW!  That is a lot of great stuff for one afternoon.  After all my years in this, TEN YEARS with Poser, twelve with DS, I should have been able to see that the OBJ's never have rigging.  Doesn't matter what program, it is a static prop.  It can have GROUPING done I think, but no rigging/bones.  Grouping can be for glueing stuff together to make doors, but no info to operate them.  OR is grouping not in OBJ's?   
Seems that every program has its own pet format where everything gets done.  Animating, articulating, bones, groups as well as the plain mesh data.   The fun part is getting all that information from one program to a different one.  THAT I think is where I am running into a brick wall at times.  Not with any particular program all the time, but ALL the programs some of the time.

Humongous collections of content.  Hey, over the years we of the Community have developed a term that describes us really well:  Content Junkies!!!   Yeah buddy!  I am definitely a content junkie too!

Thanks for lining me out on the OBJ's.  I do get the textures most of the time.  Specially from DS.  But DS has the notorious habit of giving just a single item.  You get all items grouped to the Figure if there is one.  Like a GF3 character with clothes on and hair.  You get it all but as one OBJ, all items merged.
PP2 is a Poser format as is CR2.   PP2 is a prop, CR2 is a Figure.  Articulated, boned, etc.  OBJ is pure mesh data.  Gotcha.  The newer stuff from DAZ does not use ANY OBJ geometry now.  Gen 4 stuff still does of course.  But now, from Genesis onward, we all have this thing called a "data" folder.  Me and Richard Haseltine worked out how to use the ONE data folder for both DS 4.5 and up and Poser 8 and up.  Some die hard DS folks over there wanted to get up in arms about it.  The admins (Richard included) put a stop to that.  We worked it out in PM's after that. 
What we found that works for both DS 4.5+ and Poser 8+ is:
In the SAME FOLDER where Runtime is,  that is where Data and Content and ReadMe's are all located.  Turns out, DS is better at finding stuff in a LESS rigid folder structure than Poser is.  THIS way, it is not necessary to have a data folder for Poser and one separate one for DS.  The ONE data folder serves both fine.  In the Content folder, everything for DS only goes here.  Poser cannot even see that stuff there at all.  But DS can work with that fine. 
What this means for me is I can have as many external Runtimes I want and both DS and Poser are able to use them.  Yeah DS can use lots of the stuff in the Poser Runtime portion as well as its own Content portion. 
There is one caveat to that:  The DSON Importer for Poser will transparent to the User present stuff in the Poser Library *IF* Poser Companion Files are written for the item(s).  And one thing I have seen is the most PA's over there don't give a crap about providing Poser support.  Even though its a simple thing to actually do from DS 4.8, as I personally see right now.
Dangit.  I just ate a nice big fat Double Third Pound Hamburger from Braums and I am just cruising in delighted satisfied Garfield style well fed Happiness!  LOL!
IF you want to use your Poser and see the DS stuff that does have Poser Companion Files, we need to get your DSON on!  :)
McG.

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 05:37:04 PM »
No, it's the reason for why cr2 and pp2 exist; in their codes you have .obj glued together to have articulated something (figure, furniture, wall with door...).

After, you have 2 kind of pp2:
- those including directly the geometries in their code
- those which like cr2 depends of a .obj somewhere in your runtime.

In the part of cr2 under, you have twice the same object. But can be 2 different object. All depends what is your creation.

Hm.  OK.  I am told by someone that DS does not and never did use OBJ's.  It did, but don't now.  It DOES store geometric information in a folder named DATA.  So, Poser also has to use that to be able to use stuff like Genesis 2 Female/Male and most all new Content for DS 4.5+.
CR2, PP2, both still use OBJ data.  Gen 4 stuff like V4 and M4 use OBJ's for their mesh data.
OK SO, the OBJ's are for mesh only, then program specific formats like DUF or CR2 or 3ds store articulation stuff.  Thanks.
McG.

Online McGrandpa

• Sir McG
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 05:40:05 PM »
There are other static formats in 3D, the most prominent being 3DS. In that format all polygons must be triangles. Poser can import 3DS, but DAZ Studio cannot; however, 3DS can be converted to OBJ. On just has to have an application that can import it and then export it in the other format. Most applications are already able to export in OBJ, so the task is to just find one that can import 3DS. As Poser can do that, it is a good candidate for the job. So too Bryce can do that!

As for the case of rigging, I use the Joint Editor in Poser or DAZ Studio for articulated props. I have yet to work with the creation of Armature Rigging, and am poised to learn it soon.

Do we have a way to get the rigging from other programs to DS and Poser? 

Online Agent0013

• Agent Double-0-Hiccup
  • Attic Icon
  • Keep Looking Up!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 07:39:20 PM »
OK from what I learned about the data files, that is where the OBJ data is stored, though is is encased within whatever DAZ Studio data format is being used. When you open the data folder to see what is in it, which can only be done by navigating to them on your computer, you will see one of three or four Data formatted file types, .dsa, .ds, and .duf; all of which contain the geometries data, which is derived from OBJs.

Do we have a way to get the rigging from other programs to DS and Poser? 
Short answer to that is "No." The rigging used in other programs cannot be read by Poser or DAZ Studio to my knowledge.

On the subject of 3DS, it is like OBJ in that it is geometry and materials only. No rigging is stored in a 3DS file.

Now as you rightly say, each application does have it's proprietary formats. There is a program that can convert most ridgid formats such as .obj, .3DS, .blend, etc; however, at least one format, .max is not convertible. this means you can only open it in a program that reads that format. Of course it can be converted by that program.

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
  • Evidently, I speak Mandarin........
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 08:07:26 PM »
Are you talking about Collada, Agent? That will export different file types into different programs.

Online Agent0013

• Agent Double-0-Hiccup
  • Attic Icon
  • Keep Looking Up!
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 08:36:54 PM »
I did mention Collada, but also that it does not do as good as it should. At least that's my experience. I have not found any other way to store rigging data in a file for use in different applications. Under normal circumstances, one must do the rigging using the tools for that application.

Offline sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Reckoning Force
  • Evidently, I speak Mandarin........
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 09:37:24 PM »
Ahh, just asking mostly...because as I understand it what you said last there is the 'True' of it.  You have to rig it in the program you're going to make it for.