2018 Holiday Gift Drive

Ok, am collecting for the Community Gift Pages and you can follow the link to read about it.

Let me know if you wanna play tooooo.

2018 Holiday Gifting Drive

Gifting Participants

Pink = In my paws

CaliVee

Aelin

Chiron

ali_sen

robkelk

M-Callahan

CathyY

Arts4Sale

Newsy ??

has extended their offer so now you get 10% off any order -- valid from now until December 31, 2018

... use this coupon code: FAC0616

Tell you friends about this offer too so all can save.

Forum Directory

Main Cell

button  Asylum TOS

button  Gallery How To's

button  Forum Hints

The Solarium

button  Our Gallery

button  Sponsors Showcase

button  Contact Us

button  Header Art

button  Anime and Manga

Poser Ward

button  News and Updates

button  Q & A

button  Tutorials

Conservatory

button  AtticFreezone

button  Aelin's Fantastic Finds

Contests Wing

button

Contest Info

button  Monthly Contests

button  Weekly Contests

Connect With Us!

button  Banner Exchange

Fantasies Realm Market @ Twitter Fantasies Realm Market @ FaceBook Fantasies Realm Market @ DeviantArt Fantasies Realm Market @ Google+ Fantasies Realm Market @ Pinterest FRM/Fantasies Attic @ LuLu

Twitter - FB - DA - Google+ - Pinterest - Lulu

Voting Booth

Click image to go cast your vote,
 then go
 here
===> 2018 voting thread!
to post it in the forum!

Award Info

Votes Need --- Award

10,000 -- Platinum Award
     5,000 --- Gold Award
     2,500 --- Silver Award
     1,000 --- Bronze Award
        300 --- Pewter Award
        100 --- Copper Award

2018 Voting Awards

100 Votes 300 Votes 1000 Votes 2500 Votes 5000 Votes 2018 Platinum

Donations

We have many special projects and every now and then a Special Cause that requires your generous help.

There are times when we do a collection to help a member in need of assistance and all those proceeds go directly to that member.

All donations of what ever size are WELCOME.

Thank you.

Featured Art

Merry Christmas

Click images to view

Weekly Winners

SAOTW
Madison © JVRenderer

TOTW

Time Lady © Jherrith

Your Art Winner

Future? Past? © eblank

Monthly Winners

JUNE COTM Winner

One Must Expect Surprises at the Border © rrkknight3

Announcements!

Album is HERE

JUNE CONTEST WINNERS

Kythorn ~ The Time of Flowers ~ Black and White ~ June 2018 Contest Winners have been announced details here

NEW!!

July 2018 Challenge of the Month (COTM)

MUSES' CHOICE
is your COTM challenge for JULY. Contest Ends on July 31st, 2018

Album is HERE

Weekly Competitions

Your Art

Giveaway of the Day

Welcome and do follow me.

Come visit with all in here, have some coffee or your favorite beverage and have loads of fun. The bar staff and keeper are always here to fill your orders.

This is our gathering place where we will share greetings, pass secrets, gossip, and enjoy each others company.  

Jherrith has agreed to fire up the grill on the weekends with some of his tasty specials.....and the COFFEE will always be hot and fresh. Especially with Fafnir and his bevy of waitresses.

Spring Fever by oldeekdog

Author Topic: Space Weather  (Read 35243 times)

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Straight Jackets are FREE
    • The Fantasy Attic
Re: Space Weather
« Reply #1245 on: July 13, 2018, 06:43:16 PM »
Now that's very interesting.....I went over to You Tube to subscribe but I see I already have....but just forgot that I had....which NEVER EVER HAPPENS......and if you believe that....I've got a Star I want to sell you   :ifonly: :tearlaugh:
We Shall Stand

Offline Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Kianna shall see you now
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #1246 on: July 13, 2018, 06:52:05 PM »
NGC6175 is not for sale I already own it :tearlaugh:
"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Fighting Slave of Gor by John Norman

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #1247 on: July 13, 2018, 06:54:03 PM »
I got one for my Niece in Florida when she turned 16....I'll have to look and see what her Star is.....in this cluster I have LOLOL
We Shall Stand

Online sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Evidently, I speak Mandarin........
« Reply #1248 on: July 13, 2018, 08:44:58 PM »
Now that's very interesting.....I went over to You Tube to subscribe but I see I already have....but just forgot that I had....which NEVER EVER HAPPENS......and if you believe that....I've got a Star I want to sell you   :ifonly: :tearlaugh:

He has some other videos made this year about it, where he's showing a correlation between increased volcanism and seismic events due to the (I guess) pull the planets are exerting in the configuration. Interestingly, Jupiter is the furthest away, but it also has (save for the Sun itself) the greatest gravitational pull on the planets that does reach all the way to Earth. We are fortunate it's not closer, imo.

Online sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #1249 on: July 14, 2018, 04:25:50 PM »
Here's one from yesterday:

Online Aelin

• Great Priestess of the corridors
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • archaeologist and cheerleader of Attic
« Reply #1250 on: July 14, 2018, 04:37:00 PM »
Maybe volcanoes in Auvergne (middle of France, litterally) will wake up if that continues  :tearlaugh:

Online sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #1251 on: July 14, 2018, 07:14:13 PM »
You never know what's gonna wake up!!  :haha:

Offline Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #1252 on: July 15, 2018, 12:03:14 PM »
MOON-VENUS CONJUNCTION: When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look west. The crescent Moon is passing by Venus, forming a tight conjunction in the sunset sky. Try to catch them before the sky fades to black. A Venus-Moon conjunction framed by twilight blue is extra-beautiful.

"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Offline Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #1253 on: July 15, 2018, 12:05:16 PM »
GREEN FLASH ON THE SUN: For seaside photographers, nothing beats a green flash--that sudden pulse of verdant light at sunset as the sun vanishes beneath the ocean waves. James Young was on a beach in Oregon on July 11th when captured a green flash. But it didn't come from the ocean waves. It came from the top of a cloud:

This is a rare cloud-top green flash, sometimes seen as the sun's rays graze a distant cloud bank. They are not well understood. Ordinary green flashes require a temperature inversion layer near the sea surface. Similar inversions may sometimes occur at the top of marine stratus clouds, giving rise to the type of ragged cloudy flash Young witnessed.

"It was very bright--a beautiful mystery to end the day," he says.

Offline Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #1254 on: July 15, 2018, 12:07:21 PM »
MARS IN A SKILLET: As Mars approaches Earth for a 15-year close encounter on July 27th, it is brightening to a luminosity rarely seen from the Red Planet. How bright is it? Mars is almost 3 times brighter than Sirius, the brightest star in the sky. It is 30% brighter than Jupiter, the largest planet in the solar system. Mars is so bright, you can see it in a skillet:

"I was cleaning up my outdoor gas grill last night after having a barbeque when I noticed a bright reflection in my skillet. I then looked up, and it was Mars," says Frankie Lucena of Puerto Rico.

"I went inside to get my camera and took this photo," he adds. "It is the best photo of Mars that I have been able to take so far this season. Maybe the vegetable oil in the skillet helped to bring out its colors."

Readers, if you have not yet seen Mars with your own eyes this month, please do. You can't miss it shining brightly in the southern sky at midnight. The planet's color, accurately shown in Lucena's skillet, is amazing

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #1255 on: July 15, 2018, 12:33:58 PM »
A day of Science and cool stuff indeed.

Ray put a link to view a vid from "The Watchers News" and I traveled over to see what the place was about...and it's pretty damn cool.....Thanks Ray...didn't even know the place existed.

They also have this Place:  Space Weather Station
We Shall Stand

Online sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #1256 on: July 15, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »
MOON-VENUS CONJUNCTION: When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look west. The crescent Moon is passing by Venus, forming a tight conjunction in the sunset sky. Try to catch them before the sky fades to black. A Venus-Moon conjunction framed by twilight blue is extra-beautiful.

Just finished having a look at them. They make a lovely pair.

Hmmm, someone told me that was Jupiter over there, but obviously it's not.

Offline Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #1257 on: July 17, 2018, 06:34:19 PM »
THREE WEEKS WITHOUT SUNSPOTS: As July 17th comes to a close, the sun has been blank for 21 straight days--a remarkable 3 weeks without sunspots. To find an equal stretch of spotless suns in the historical record, you have to go back to July-August 2009 when the sun was emerging from a century-class solar minimum. We are now entering a new solar minimum, possibly as deep as the last one.
Solar minimum is a normal part of the solar cycle. Every 11 years or so, sunspot production sputters. Dark cores that produce solar flares and CMEs vanish from the solar disk, leaving the sun blank for long stretches of time. These quiet spells have been coming with regularity since the sunspot cycle was discovered in 1859.

However, not all solar minima are alike. The last one in 2008-2009 surprised observers with its depth and side-effects. Sunspot counts dropped to a 100-year low; the sun dimmed by 0.1%; Earth's upper atmosphere collapsed, allowing space junk to accumulate; and the pressure of the solar wind flagged while cosmic rays (normally repelled by solar wind) surged to Space Age highs. These events upended the orthodox picture of solar minimum as "uneventful."

Space weather forecasters have long wondered, will the next solar minimum (2018-2020) be as deep as the previous one (2008-2009)? Twenty-one days without sunspots is not enough to answer that question. During the solar minimum of 2008-2009, the longest unbroken interval of spotlessness was ~52 days, adding to a total of 813 intermittent spotless days observed throughout the multi-year minimum. The corresponding totals now are only 21 days and 244 days, respectively. If this solar minimum is like the last one, we still have a long way to go.

How does this affect us on Earth? Contrary to popular belief, auroras do not vanish during solar minimum. Instead, they retreat to polar regions and may change color. Arctic sky watchers can still count on good displays this autumn and winter as streams of solar wind buffet Earth's magnetic field. The biggest change brought by solar minimum may be cosmic rays. High energy particles from deep space penetrate the inner solar system with greater ease during periods of low solar activity. NASA spacecraft and space weather balloons are already detecting an increase in radiation. Cosmic rays alter the flow of electricity through Earth's atmosphere, trigger lightning, potentially alter cloud cover, and dose commercial air travelers with extra "rads on a plane."

At the moment there are no nascent sunspots on the solar disk, so the spotless days counter is likely to keep ticking. Stay tuned for more blank suns and … welcome to solar minimum.

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #1258 on: July 18, 2018, 02:08:19 PM »
When I read that in the Newsletter I hit some of the other links they had in there about the Subject.....Interesting stuff....
We Shall Stand

Poser and Daz

Click images to go to SmithMicro and Daz to read all about the programs.

Poser Pro got even better this year.

They have made it easier on content creators by integrating Poser Pro Game Dev into Poser Pro 11.

Now the content creators can create for runtimes and games with only one program!

Poser 11PoserPro 11 Daz Studio--Free

attic_468x175.jpg
participial