2018 Holiday Gift Drive

Ok, am collecting for the Community Gift Pages and you can follow the link to read about it.

Let me know if you wanna play tooooo.

2018 Holiday Gifting Drive

Gifting Participants

Pink = In my paws

CaliVee -- Aelin
Chiron -- ali_sen
robkelk -- M-Callahan
CathyY -- Arts4Sale
Scouseaphrenia
morganahope -- AA3Dstudio
FrahHawk -- Napalmarsenal
eBlank -- sojournstar
Carolann -- Llola Lane
Barbariandreams
Sanbie -- TheBrownOwl/Maggi
midnightvelvet -- Eblank

Newsy ??

has extended their offer so now you get 10% off any order -- valid from now until December 31, 2018

... use this coupon code: FAC0616

Tell you friends about this offer too so all can save.

Forum Directory

Main Cell

button  Asylum TOS

button  Gallery How To's

button  Forum Hints

The Solarium

button  Our Gallery

button  Sponsors Showcase

button  Contact Us

button  Header Art

button  Anime and Manga

Poser Ward

button  News and Updates

button  Q & A

button  Tutorials

Conservatory

button  AtticFreezone

button  Aelin's Fantastic Finds

Contests Wing

button

Contest Info

button  Monthly Contests

button  Weekly Contests

Connect With Us!

button  Banner Exchange

Fantasies Realm Market @ Twitter Fantasies Realm Market @ FaceBook Fantasies Realm Market @ DeviantArt Fantasies Realm Market @ Google+ Fantasies Realm Market @ Pinterest FRM/Fantasies Attic @ LuLu

Twitter - FB - DA - Google+ - Pinterest - Lulu

Voting Booth

Click image to go cast your vote,
 then go
 here
===> 2018 voting thread!
to post it in the forum!

Award Info

Votes Need --- Award

10,000 -- Platinum Award
     5,000 --- Gold Award
     2,500 --- Silver Award
     1,000 --- Bronze Award
        300 --- Pewter Award
        100 --- Copper Award

2018 Voting Awards

100 Votes 300 Votes 1000 Votes 2500 Votes 5000 Votes 2018 Platinum

Donations

We have many special projects and every now and then a Special Cause that requires your generous help.

There are times when we do a collection to help a member in need of assistance and all those proceeds go directly to that member.

All donations of what ever size are WELCOME.

Thank you.

Featured Art

Merry Christmas

Click images to view

Weekly Winners

SAOTW
Magic Portal © Fruity

TOTW

Lashka the Blood Queen © roni190

Your Art Winner

Come Get Some! © Paul

Monthly Winners

August COTM Winner

Kali Busted © Inonit

Announcements!

Album is HERE

AUGUST CONTEST WINNERS

Eleasis ~ High Sun ~ Sci-Fi Warrior's through Time & Space ~ August 2018

Winners Announcement is HERE

NEW!!

September 2018 Challenge of the Month (COTM)

Through the Window
Contest Ends on September 30th, 2018

Album is HERE

~Weekly Competitions~

Your Art

Giveaway of the Day

Author Topic: How Do YOU Feel About your ISP.......  (Read 596 times)

Online sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Evidently, I speak Mandarin........
How Do YOU Feel About your ISP.......
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:31:27 PM »
...being able to sell/monetize your information - ALL your information - forms entries, what you purchased on line, size, color, quantity, your medical information, credit card numbers, etc. to the highest bidder WITHOUT your saying it is okay to do so? (The Opt-In Clause)

How do you feel about NOT being told if there is a security breach at your ISP or anywhere else? Or that your credit card info has been compromised?

How do you feel about the FCC's Consumer Protection Rules being undone and effectively put in a position of NEVER being able to make more privacy rules to protect us?

How do you feel about the largest ISP in this country becoming even richer than they are (they're worth about $140 some BILLION dollars - and we all know who that is) from selling YOUR information so you can be targeted with ads to encourage you to buy more stuff?

The Republican Congress just passed such a bill today. It is now on the floor of the House, where it is being HOTLY debated by both Dems and Republicans as to WHY these are NOT good things to be doing. None of them who spoke on it think it's a good idea. How do you feel about it?

Offline Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Kianna shall see you now
    • Jherriths Lair
Re: How Do YOU Feel About your ISP.......
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 05:16:19 AM »
Definitely not on my list of things to be complacent about,

never been a fan of ads being on every single tab in the mail box and heaven forbid I look at things that I am trying to purchase and then the next time I open a random page bang there are ads hyping what I was just looking at or days later I am seeing ads regarding said products.

Think the next travesty was or is that "Cortana thing" in Win 10, which I have turned off mind you, although according to task manager it is running in the background but since that computer is not connected to the internet period it can bleat all it wants ...
"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Fighting Slave of Gor by John Norman

Online sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:04:22 AM »
Ads that follow you around are from what are called 'edge providers' like social media sites and even to some great degree places like Rendo and DAZ who monetize clicks on their sites from others.

No, you can't shut Cortana off.

BUT those are small potatoes compared to THIS. Very small. It's only vaguely similar.

Online Chiron

• Centaur of the Universe
  • 1000 Grand Roller
  • We age, we don't mature
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 08:33:28 AM »
Alas! I wasn't here yet when this thread was started - just run into it by sheer chance while exploring the countless recesses of the Attic.
The thread may be old but regrettably the topic is still very alive - and worsening day after day, I'm afraid.
As for me I'm still on good old discrete WinXP, thus accessing the web directly would be sort of suicidal. As such the only personal data of mine the ISP can sell off is the IP address of my VPN  :grin:

And I take good care of disabling all possible tracking cookies and other potentially obnoxious stuff: apparently nowadays privacy is no more an unalienable right of the citizen as much as a privilege you have to fight ceaselessly for - or give up on once forever, forget about your individuality and join the big Hive.
 :sad:

There is a question though that keeps haunting me: what makes those silly personal data so worthy? Are there really so many simpletons ready to run off and buy something they don't need just because a stupid ad told them so?
If the humankind has really sunk that low it nearly makes me want to resign...

P.S.: Sorry for being serious for once.
"I can resist everything but temptation" (Oscar Wilde)

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Straight Jackets are FREE
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 08:47:44 AM »
Good Points all....and yes...those running on XP are now at risk moreso then others.  All security updates have ended....

I LOVED XP....was one of the best MS had.  Win10 is not to bad if you keep it updated....but you have to be very keen with Win 10.....

There....you've had my "Seriousness" for the day also  :tearlaugh:
We Shall Stand

Offline heddheld

• Blender Devil
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 09:10:45 AM »

now I'm in an odd place for this ..........I have a local phone company
[really move 25 miles away and I have a choice but here NO choice]
now when I first went on net ........no ads but I had to pay per min for net
pay per month for bbs boards I was in .........rarely got hacked  :shh2:
now I pay less but have lots of ads ...........I can close my eyes my mind to ads
they saving my wallet

some times when I stuck for inspiration for stuff to model the ads are useful

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Straight Jackets are FREE
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 09:13:37 AM »
I use Adblocker but that sometimes is more of a pain then it is a help LOLOL.  Some of my Newsfeed have tons of ads and won't show the feed unless they can show the ads....but I find ways around it...... :java:
We Shall Stand

Online Chiron

• 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »
Over time I developed a personal adblocker in my neural hardware: whenever I see a normally stupid ad (i.e. about 83% of them), it turns immediately transparent to my eyes.
If the ad is a smart one (about 0.1 % of the times) I read it through even if I'll hardly buy the product - if nothing else the reward is a smile.
If it's particularly idiotic (the remaining 16.9%) I store the manufacturer's name somewhere between my ears to be sure never ever to buy even a toothpick from them.

And you know what? It works fine!
Hence my hearty blessing to all those smart alecks disposed to pay dear money to buy my personal preferences :upurs3:

Online sidherose

• Attic Cookie Monster
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 07:34:48 PM »
I'm pretty much of the same opinion and do as you do, Chiron. Turn a blind eye to the ads. But, you can't help but notice things if you're observant.

I'm certainly not going to buy something just because of some ad on line. 

Online Chiron

• 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 04:20:58 AM »
. . . But, you can't help but notice things if you're observant.

What you can do though is see them for as long as it takes to flag them as 'noise' (a few mS), store their coordinates and then avoid wearing out your poor abused neurons any further on that crap. After a while the process becomes automatic and you don't even notice it :icu:

I'm certainly not going to buy something just because of some ad on line. 
Which leaves open the Great Question: who is so stupid to do that?

Those personal data being worth so much trouble suggests that they must be legions, but I never ever happened to run into one of them...
Where are those millions of idiots hidden???

P.S.: totally off topic, but the other thread has become a sort of kasbah thus I had to unsubscribe from it:
"Retinal migraine is associated with transient monocular visual loss (scotoma) in one eye lasting less than one hour. During some episodes, the visual loss may occur with no headache and at other times throbbing headache on the same side of the head as the visual loss may occur, accompanied by severe light sensitivity and/or nausea. Visual loss tends to affect the entire monocular visual field of one eye, not both eyes. After each episode, normal vision returns."
NO.
As far as I know the migraine is seldom (if ever) retinal, and if it were it wouldn't affect the whole brain.
The common migraine (of which I'm an affectionate patron) is due to a temporary local vasoconstriction in the visual cortex - in the back of the head - that causes a temporarily blind area (the scotoma) to appear in the visual field of both eyes, though generally limited to one side.
The subsequent slow release of the vasoconstriction is damn painful - the brain is insensitive to pain but unfortunately the blood vessels aren't - though it can be helped by gulping down a coffee or three as caffeine is a powerful and fast vasodilator.

Where did you find that garbage? Alas, when we were young one needed at least a college degree to write about medical stuff... :sad:

Poser and Daz

Click images to go to SmithMicro and Daz to read all about the programs.

Poser Pro got even better this year.

They have made it easier on content creators by integrating Poser Pro Game Dev into Poser Pro 11.

Now the content creators can create for runtimes and games with only one program!

Poser 11PoserPro 11 Daz Studio--Free

attic_468x175.jpg
participial