2017 Community Gift Pages

Thanks to all the participants this year that made them extra special for everyone. All gifts will remain posted until moved sometime in February 2018.

Forum Directory

Main Cell

button  Asylum TOS

button  Gallery How To's

button  Forum Hints

The Solarium

button  Our Gallery

button  Sponsors Showcase

button  Contact Us

button  W.I.P Cell

Poser Ward

button  News and Updates

button  Q & A

button  Tutorials

Freebies Conservatory

button  AtticFreezone [Freestuff]

button  Aelin's Fantastic Finds

button  llexandro's Hideaway

Contests Wing

button

Contest Info

button  Monthly Contests

button  Weekly Contests

button

Connect With Us!

button  Banner Exchange

Follow fantasiesrealm on Twitter Follow fantasiesrealm on Pinterest

The Realms Market at Deviant Art

Voting Booth

Click image to go cast your vote,
 then go
 here
===> 2018 voting thread!
to post it in the forum!

Award Info

10,000 votes - Platinum Award
5,000 votes - Gold Award
2,500 votes - Silver Award
1,000 votes - Bronze Award
300 votes - Pewter Award

100 votes - Copper Award

2018 Voting Awards

100 Votes
100 Votes

Donations

xmassleigh

We have many special projects and every now and then a Special Cause that requires your generous help.

There are times when we do a collection to help a member in need of assistance and all those proceeds go directly to that member.

All donations of what ever size are WELCOME.

Thank you.

Featured Art

Merry Christmas

Click images to view

Monthly Winners

December COTM Winner

Holiday Tradition © AmirA

Announcements!

Happy Halloween

Monthly Competitions

JANUARY CONTEST

Hammer ~ Deep Winter ~ Baby It's Cold Outside ~ January 2018 Contest Album is HERE

DECEMBER CONTEST

Nightal ~ The Drawing Down ~ Christmas Cards from the Attic ~ December 2017 Contest Winners

Nightal ~ The Drawing Down ~ Fairies of Winter ~ December 2017 Contest Winners

2018 Challenge of the Month

NEW!!

January 2018 Challenge of the Month (COTM)

"Paradise"

Details here .

Weekly Competitions

Your Art

Giveaway of the Day

Welcome and do follow me.

Come visit with all in here, have some coffee or your favorite beverage and have loads of fun. The bar staff and keeper are always here to fill your orders.

This is our gathering place where we will share greetings, pass secrets, gossip, and enjoy each others company.  

Jherrith has agreed to fire up the grill on the weekends with some of his tasty specials.....and the COFFEE will always be hot and fresh. Especially with Fafnir and his bevy of waitresses.

Spring Fever by oldeekdog

Author Topic: Edit: Why Interested in Learning Other Languages...  (Read 2040 times)

Twisted.Illusions and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Twisted.Illusions

• Gothic Queen
  • 1000 Grand Roller
  • "Demon, where did my Angel go?"
    • Enchanted By Darkness
Edit: Why Interested in Learning Other Languages...
« on: September 15, 2017, 08:31:07 AM »

EDITED: Please understand that what I'm looking for is learning from each others languages besides English and sharing with anyone interested here. But I'm strongly wanting to learn.
 So here is the story.
As most of you know, I was born in the Caribbean,  a small island called Puerto Rico. Both my parents as well and both sets of grandparents...When I was little(still am...in height, hahahaha), growing up I was always curious about other countries, foreign ones. Yes, I'm talking about Russia, Germany, France and so on... very curious about their languages. My father was told at a young age that his father's ancestors came from Germany, that's all he knew(didn't grow up with him). So I did the Ancestry DNA and got my results months ago. Guess what I found? His ancestor originally came from France(and the branch spread from there to other countries on that side of the world), Germany is there as well but not the origin....Now I also learned from my father, that his mother's ancestors came from Italy....Again, guess what?! I got results from there as well! My most dominant results are 63% Europe, and out of that %, 26 % is from Italy and Greece combined (you should've seen my surprise and excitement when getting all these results). Others withing the 63% is from Europe West(which includes Germany and France!)...  So I've been doing research for months and yes, I found my father's father and his father's father(my 2nd great grandfather)! He was born in France in 1799-1889. He was married to a French lady and had a son. Don't know if she died or they divorced or what cause he then re-married quite a few times after her.. He had 12 sons and 8 daughters in total(boy was he busy!). He died in my birth town, Ponce Puerto Rico... So anyway my researched took me back as far as the early 1600's, yes I found as far as my 7th great grandfather!!
There are so many I have found on my paternal side that I'm still shocked, excited every time I re-check! As from my father's mom side(this is the side with Italy/Greece %), I have found quite a bit too but not like his dad's side... from my mom's side, not much really.
So why all this mumbo jumbo stuff and the languages? Well like I said earlier, I learned basic French 20 years ago( and I mean basics, on my own with CDs for computer, just words here and there, no conversations). I've been learning German since last year and French again... I always said that the attractions I always had for those countries and their people, had to have a reason, lol... no one in my parents' families(older generation) speak/spoke any other language but Spanish, my native language. English is second. I guess is like the saying goes, blood is thicker than water? So, you think it's a natural instinct ?! Or just crazy? I believe is both, hahaha... Just never to old to learn!
Here are my DNA results;
Europe 63% (no wonder Iolana is so obsessed with Ireland and Scotland since very young, lol)
Africa 23% (yeah, any Puerto Rican  born who doesn't have some African blood in them must be crazy, hahaha)
Native America 13%
Asia 2%
West Asia 1%

Asia, hmm?? never thought of it, lol

Iolana(my daughter) says to me, "So where's the Puerto Rican in your DNA results?" I laughed, told her well it must be included with the Native America. Because it included the entire North, Central and South America...
---------------------------------------------------...who speaks German and French... I'm learning both languages. Pretty good at the basic words in German and I recognize words when I see them.  If anyone here is willing to start any conversations regarding such, pls let me know....@attic management, I hope this is OK. If not pls let me know...
When I get home, I will share the reasons why or I should say, other reasons why I want to learn theae languages 😉
"If I got rid of my Demons, I'd lose my Angels"
-T.W.

Offline Aelin

• The Seeker
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • archaeologist and cheerleader of Attic
Re: Looking for anyone...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:42:11 AM »
German I don't know at all.

Français, je sais que nous sommes au moins 2 à passer régulièrement au forum :winks:

Online Neimrok

• Elf of the Light
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 08:53:31 AM »
Pour le français, je suis certainement la deuxième personne dont parle Aelin :winks: et je peux vous aider à vous améliorer, si voulez de moi comme interlocuteur.  :oh-snap:

As for german, I'm like Aelin, I can't be helpful.

Online Twisted.Illusions

• Gothic Queen
  • 1000 Grand Roller
    • Enchanted By Darkness
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:57:11 AM »
Oh c'est super! Je parle seulement un peu le francais..
-T.W.

Online Neimrok

• Elf of the Light
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »
D'après ce que je lis, c'est déjà un bon début ! :thumb_up:

Online Twisted.Illusions

• Gothic Queen
  • 1000 Grand Roller
    • Enchanted By Darkness
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 09:06:09 AM »
Pour le français, je suis certainement la deuxième personne dont parle Aelin :winks: et je peux vous aider à vous améliorer, si voulez de moi comme interlocuteur.  :oh-snap:

As for german, I'm like Aelin, I can't be helpful.

I can recognize some of the words....I'm at work and using my cell, so its a bit hard to type in here. I'll check back once I'm home. Merci

-T.W.

Offline Aelin

• The Seeker
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 09:07:56 AM »
De rien. Mais comme le dit Neimrok, c'est très bien.

See you later!

Online Twisted.Illusions

• Gothic Queen
  • 1000 Grand Roller
    • Enchanted By Darkness
Re: Edit: Why Interested in Learning Other Languages...
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 07:14:20 AM »
Bonjour! Famille et amis arrivent (today) pour une visite. Arretez-vous quand je pourrai..

don't know how to say "today" in French. I can recognize words and know the meanings but can't pronounce them, yet or to good, lol.

I edited my first post with story...sorry it's so long
-T.W.

Online Neimrok

• Elf of the Light
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 07:41:26 AM »
Today = aujourd'hui (ojurdui phonetically).

"Arretez vous quand je pourrai". A french guy wouldn't understand what you mean. Considering the idea of the text, isn't it rather "arrêtez vous quand vous pourrez" (stop when you can) ?

Online Neimrok

• Elf of the Light
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 07:50:40 AM »
The story of your ancestors is a bit eventful and seemed to be pretty unexpected for you.
No spanish ancestor in your genealogy ?

Online heddheld

• Heddcase
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »

nice one hun ...........go back a few more generations an most of us are related  :(ROFLMAO:
shame we all cant get on lol
but that's the life we have

luck with all that learning ........u joined any French or German groups ??
book learning is great but its the slang you trip up on

Offline Aelin

• The Seeker
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 08:52:07 AM »
Je n'ai jamais vraiment touché à ma généalogie, mais je sais que j'ai aussi des ancêtres Allemands. Mais avec les guerres en Europe, souvent c'était compliqué au niveau des frontières lol
Italie et Grèce ont des liens forts aussi depuis l'Antiquité.

Practice for a stranger language isn't always easy, but in more than practicing, maybe can you find a little book in French to compare with another you have at the house? For example if you have tales by Perrault in English, it was 'translated' from old French to modern for a very long time.
I tried to read LOTR in English by the past but size stopped me quickly :psycho:

Online heddheld

• Heddcase
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 10:04:58 AM »

talking is best way to learn ..........find a friend an chat
when u say word wrong u know in millisecs cos of smile on there face ;-)
I had other g/f's ( other as in not English lol not other species  opps)
an u soon start sayin things an not know u say in other tongue
somehow your brain don't care what tongue does
but if u stick to "book learning" its read and translate

try to find some groups with a good chat room (yeah I miss msn too lol )
watch French .German tv if u can .........u don't get the feed back .......but u can soon turn off subtitles

one of my friends talks 7 dif languages ( an he bundles a couple cos they so close )
but u have to talk it  :knightcheer2: or forget it

Online Twisted.Illusions

• Gothic Queen
  • 1000 Grand Roller
    • Enchanted By Darkness
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 10:11:12 PM »
Today = aujourd'hui (ojurdui phonetically).

"Arretez vous quand je pourrai". A french guy wouldn't understand what you mean. Considering the idea of the text, isn't it rather "arrêtez vous quand vous pourrez" (stop when you can) ?

Thanks for the "today" word in French.
Arretez vous quand je pourrai, I was trying to say, "Stop when I can" ?
The story of your ancestors is a bit eventful and seemed to be pretty unexpected for you.
No spanish ancestor in your genealogy ?

On my father's father, it goes up to my great grandfather, before him, all French and so on... from my father's mother's side, I only got information up to my 2nd great grandfather, no idea where he was born(yet), but I believe it must have been Italy or surrounding areas cause his last names were Molano Petronilla(or Petrona). But his wife was born in Puerto Rico. He was my paternal grandma's grandfather.
nice one hun ...........go back a few more generations an most of us are related  :(ROFLMAO:
shame we all cant get on lol
but that's the life we have

luck with all that learning ........u joined any French or German groups ??
book learning is great but its the slang you trip up on

I'm with you Hedd, I always say the same thing. We are all freaking related one way or another, like it or not  :java:
Been looking to join a place for learning languages but I don't find any yet(but learn how to cook German food, etc...) I have a couple of co-workers that speak basic German, so I speak to them in Spanish, them to me some German and back to English, but it's not much cause they don't know much German... Library I work at, offers a program which I love for learning languages and I've been using it alot. It's called mango languages. But like you said, I want to learn by talking to others, "hands on" is the best way to learn anything.
-T.W.

Online Twisted.Illusions

• Gothic Queen
  • 1000 Grand Roller
    • Enchanted By Darkness
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 10:14:57 PM »
Je n'ai jamais vraiment touché à ma généalogie, mais je sais que j'ai aussi des ancêtres Allemands. Mais avec les guerres en Europe, souvent c'était compliqué au niveau des frontières lol
Italie et Grèce ont des liens forts aussi depuis l'Antiquité.

Practice for a stranger language isn't always easy, but in more than practicing, maybe can you find a little book in French to compare with another you have at the house? For example if you have tales by Perrault in English, it was 'translated' from old French to modern for a very long time.
I tried to read LOTR in English by the past but size stopped me quickly :psycho:

J'adore la genealogie! Been researching for years but this year I decided to go for a paid membership, so I've been discovering much more. Free membership doesn't give you much.
-T.W.

Poser and Daz

Click images to go to SmithMicro and Daz to read all about the programs.

Poser Pro got even better this year.

They have made it easier on content creators by integrating Poser Pro Game Dev into Poser Pro 11.

Now the content creators can create for runtimes and games with only one program!

Poser 11PoserPro 11 Daz Studio--Free

attic_468x175.jpg
participial