2017 Community Gift Pages

Thanks to all the participants this year that made them extra special for everyone. All gifts will remain posted until moved sometime in February 2018.

Forum Directory

Main Cell

button  Asylum TOS

button  Gallery How To's

button  Forum Hints

The Solarium

button  Our Gallery

button  Sponsors Showcase

button  Contact Us

button  W.I.P Cell

Poser Ward

button  News and Updates

button  Q & A

button  Tutorials

Freebies Conservatory

button  AtticFreezone [Freestuff]

button  Aelin's Fantastic Finds

button  llexandro's Hideaway

Contests Wing

button

Contest Info

button  Monthly Contests

button  Weekly Contests

button

Connect With Us!

button  Banner Exchange

Follow fantasiesrealm on Twitter Follow fantasiesrealm on Pinterest

The Realms Market at Deviant Art

Voting Booth

Click image to go cast your vote,
 then go
 here
===> 2018 voting thread!
to post it in the forum!

Award Info

10,000 votes - Platinum Award
5,000 votes - Gold Award
2,500 votes - Silver Award
1,000 votes - Bronze Award
300 votes - Pewter Award

100 votes - Copper Award

2018 Voting Awards

100 Votes
100 Votes

Donations

xmassleigh

We have many special projects and every now and then a Special Cause that requires your generous help.

There are times when we do a collection to help a member in need of assistance and all those proceeds go directly to that member.

All donations of what ever size are WELCOME.

Thank you.

Featured Art

Merry Christmas

Click images to view

Monthly Winners

December COTM Winner

Holiday Tradition © AmirA

Announcements!

Happy Halloween

Monthly Competitions

JANUARY CONTEST

Hammer ~ Deep Winter ~ Baby It's Cold Outside ~ January 2018 Contest Album is HERE

DECEMBER CONTEST

Nightal ~ The Drawing Down ~ Christmas Cards from the Attic ~ December 2017 Contest Winners

Nightal ~ The Drawing Down ~ Fairies of Winter ~ December 2017 Contest Winners

2018 Challenge of the Month

NEW!!

January 2018 Challenge of the Month (COTM)

"Paradise"

Details here .

Weekly Competitions

Your Art

Giveaway of the Day

Author Topic: Computer with W8.1 out  (Read 1069 times)

Online Aelin

• The Seeker
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • archaeologist and cheerleader of Attic
Re: Computer with W8.1 out
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2017, 01:53:02 PM »
Before dinner, I read a bit on after the boot with an USB; I found finally some topics with this kind of pictures

Some people have the option of safe modeafter Parameters. Is it the way I could use if never... ?

I saw also a lot use in place the actualization of computer, but that remove applications from hard drive (and is only available if we have the installation CD?) :thud:  I guess that remove also all files inside runtimes of Poser and DS? I understood it will remove browser, which a bit annoying for preferences of sites, but I can do with that.

Offline heddheld

• Heddcase
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2017, 02:14:27 PM »

Chiron is tryin to get all your stuff off disk before taking that step hun
just follow his help and we all cross our fingers for you

Online Aelin

• The Seeker
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2017, 02:26:44 PM »
I just want to take news on that before to go further, to be a little more ready when the moment will come. Imagine a sieve, and the needed time to fix the holes  :(ROFLMAO: I must enter a maximum in brain before everything.

Offline rrkknight3

• Sir Knight
  • Ranking poster
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2017, 02:31:28 PM »
We're guessing that the physical disk or the electronics in the laptop's hard drive has started to fail or is failing.  For this reason, no software fix is likely to help. 

Under these circumstances, it's best to save the files from your computer before exploring other possibilities.  If we're wrong, then all that has been wasted is some time.  If we're right, at least you'll still have all of the files that were on the laptop.

Offline rrkknight3

• Sir Knight
  • Ranking poster
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2017, 02:38:44 PM »
I just want to take news on that before to go further, to be a little more ready when the moment will come. Imagine a sieve, and the needed time to fix the holes  :(ROFLMAO: I must enter a maximum in brain before everything.

Ah, I see.  We're just trying to help you keep your work from being lost.

Online Aelin

• The Seeker
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2017, 02:53:21 PM »
I know it's to help me.
It's just for the moment I don't understand how it's possible to reach files from that kind of 'blue screens'. Seems to me being a lot of "no trepassing" ways :panic: (fortunately it's not the case of our corridors to escape the nurse  :skellie: ).

Offline Chiron

• Centaur of the Universe
  • High Roller
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »
Aelin, are you perhaps neglecting your mailbox? :smile:

I agree 101% with rrkknight3: the less you tamper with your (presumably) faulty laptop, the greater the chances to recover most or all of your files. "Ex falso sequitur omne" used to say St. Augustin (speaking of Latin... :winks:) - you never know what to expect of a computer gone nuts - it might as well extend the damage.

And once more in perfect synch with rrkknight3: sometimes the software can perform magic, I agree, but if a couple of times I saw a wrong software damage the hardware, I never, ever, saw one fix it. Of course you may try, but it is much safer if you wait until your data are safely duplicated on a healthy drive.
"I can resist everything but temptation" (Oscar Wilde)

Offline rrkknight3

• Sir Knight
  • Ranking poster
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2017, 03:17:42 PM »
I know it's to help me.
It's just for the moment I don't understand how it's possible to reach files from that kind of 'blue screens'. Seems to me being a lot of "no trepassing" ways :panic: (fortunately it's not the case of our corridors to escape the nurse  :skellie: ).

The trick that we're going to use is to start the laptop not from the hard disk inside the laptop case but from another storage device.  It is possible to have an operating system like Windows on a USB stick.  And it's possible to ask the laptop to start up from the USB stick.  That's what this Windows PE thing that Chiron is describing -- another Windows like system that will be able to read any data that is still readable from the laptop's hard disk.

I realize that having these explanations in English rather than French may be making it harder to understand.  I initially tried to translate it to French.  When I translated what I had back to English, it seemed like .  I had a good laugh but I don't think that it would have helped.

Offline Chiron

• High Roller
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »
Well, that's an idea: let's try in my rusty French - Aelin, please do the possible and the impossible to forgive me all those errors and to extract the meaning :smile:

Ç'est pas sûre lire tes fichiers avec un sistéme d'exploitation monté sur un disque dur compromis: il pourrait aggraver la situation et effacer encore plus de donées. Beucoup plus sûre serait-il les lire avec un autre sistéme d'exploitation indépendant, possiblement monté sur une clé USB, de façon qu'il ne faille pas de demontér le disque dur. Aussi on peut lire les donnée avec la CPU du laptop mais sans risque que le sistéme d'exploitation sur le disque dur compromis puisse faire quelquechose du mal.
IMO WinPE est précisément le systéme dont tu as besoin - le seul probléme est comme et d'oú le télechargér, mais j'ai eu une idée dont je t'ai écrit il y a quelques heures...

Er... forgive my French! :tearlaugh:

Online Aelin

• The Seeker
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2017, 05:00:34 PM »
French forgiven :winks: , like everybody here forgive to my English :psycho:

I know, I read your mail not far away. I saw tonight also the other laptop what I talked you. Identical finally, except of course it hasn't the same files that I made. So not so identical.

But with a hard drive damaged, and a new laptop which works barely with its W10, I'm not far away to give up everything. A part of what I have for job needs more than my new laptop can do (I don't talk of course of 3D, it's a lost hope). I made counts and I'm not ready to have money for an external, not to pay a W8.
And my present external will never be able to take in memory all the damaged HD can share - like it seems everything will come, even what I don't want save.
In fact, what I have discover with W10 it's a comp is only to serve like an object of decoration. Except maybe for big machines with many money.

Offline rrkknight3

• Sir Knight
  • Ranking poster
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2017, 05:12:26 PM »
Chiron has gone to sleep as for both of you it's very late.  I can see how you feel trapped by circumstances, but I don't think you should give up.

Once we have a way to boot the old laptop, it's possible to select which files you want to copy a few at a time (as will fit on the device you already have) and put them on the new machine.

I'm pretty sure that with all of the Windows experience in the Attic we will be able to find a way to make W10 usable for you.

Offline Chiron

• High Roller
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2017, 05:21:11 PM »
French forgiven :winks: , like everybody here forgive to my English :psycho:
Thanks!

I know, I read your mail not far away. I saw tonight also the other laptop what I talked you. Identical finally, except of course it hasn't the same files that I made. So not so identical.
The software is not a problem, if the hardware is identical then you can 'transplant' the system - but I wouldn't do that before rescuing your files: the new system would certainly overwrite them. And if the current hard drive is faulty transplanting the system would do no good - in that case xou'd need a new drive. Not so tragic indeed, they are cheap enough.

But with a hard drive damaged, and a new laptop which works barely with its W10, I'm not far away to give up everything.

PLEASE DON'T!!! There is almost always another way out!
A part of what I have for job needs more than my new laptop can do (I don't talk of course of 3D, it's a lost hope). I made counts and I'm not ready to have money for an external, not to pay a W8.
You have a lot of friends that could volunteer something each, don't you? :smile:
And my present external will never be able to take in memory all the damaged HD can share - like it seems everything will come, even what I don't want save.
In fact, what I have discover with W10 it's a comp is only to serve like an object of decoration. Except maybe for big machines with many money.
No, you can chose the files you want to keep and discard the rest.
Yes, Win10 is mostly a decorative article - until you turn it on. Then it may become dangerous...

Mmm... bonne nuit...

Online Aelin

• The Seeker
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »
Night was with some computers in the corner of dreams. Then a solution was ready to be found... and alarm clock came :thud:

I tried this afternoon to look with a USB bootable, not to go until the end (I knew where turn off safely), but to see if I have all options. Answer is no, I haven't the safe mode (I saw some other people with same issue). The 2 other solutions are formatting and lost everything which is unuseful of course; or continue to save datas and only datas not programs.
So comp was turned off quickly, and put in a corner for the moment.

Offline rrkknight3

• Sir Knight
  • Ranking poster
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2017, 03:32:59 PM »
Night was with some computers in the corner of dreams. Then a solution was ready to be found... and alarm clock came :thud:

I tried this afternoon to look with a USB bootable, not to go until the end (I knew where turn off safely), but to see if I have all options. Answer is no, I haven't the safe mode (I saw some other people with same issue). The 2 other solutions are formatting and lost everything which is unuseful of course; or continue to save datas and only datas not programs.
So comp was turned off quickly, and put in a corner for the moment.

Your computer can use a bootable USB key.  See the attached image.  This BIOS configuration entry would be selected when booting from the USB key was tried.

BUT ... the first step would be to create a bootable USB key with a program running on your W10 system that you could use to boot the W8.1 system.  The one that Chiron was proposing was for this purpose, I'll bet.

Online Aelin

• The Seeker
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2017, 04:18:53 PM »
Yes with a bootable USB (made from the W8.1 laptop from friend) I went in the BIOS, I changed first the order that just after the OS BOOT Manager (I thought it was important that one stayed in the same place, like a non movable chief). Of course, that hadn't worked.
So I changed again the order, and that time I saw different options after. But where I must find the possibily of safe mode, I haven't advanced options. It's just non existent. I don't know if it's because the health of disk, or if it's because it's just W8.1 installed with computer at the beginning (and consequently no key).

Poser and Daz

Click images to go to SmithMicro and Daz to read all about the programs.

Poser Pro got even better this year.

They have made it easier on content creators by integrating Poser Pro Game Dev into Poser Pro 11.

Now the content creators can create for runtimes and games with only one program!

Poser 11PoserPro 11 Daz Studio--Free

attic_468x175.jpg