2017 Community Gift Pages

Thanks to all the participants this year that made them extra special for everyone. All gifts will remain posted until moved sometime in February 2018.

Forum Directory

Main Cell

button  Asylum TOS

button  Gallery How To's

button  Forum Hints

The Solarium

button  Our Gallery

button  Sponsors Showcase

button  Contact Us

button  W.I.P Cell

Poser Ward

button  News and Updates

button  Q & A

button  Tutorials

Freebies Conservatory

button  AtticFreezone [Freestuff]

button  Aelin's Fantastic Finds

button  llexandro's Hideaway

Contests Wing

button

Contest Info

button  Monthly Contests

button  Weekly Contests

button

Connect With Us!

button  Banner Exchange

Follow fantasiesrealm on Twitter Follow fantasiesrealm on Pinterest

The Realms Market at Deviant Art

Voting Booth

Click image to go cast your vote,
 then go
 here
===> 2018 voting thread!
to post it in the forum!

Award Info

10,000 votes - Platinum Award
5,000 votes - Gold Award
2,500 votes - Silver Award
1,000 votes - Bronze Award
300 votes - Pewter Award

100 votes - Copper Award

2018 Voting Awards

100 Votes 300 Votes

Donations

xmassleigh

We have many special projects and every now and then a Special Cause that requires your generous help.

There are times when we do a collection to help a member in need of assistance and all those proceeds go directly to that member.

All donations of what ever size are WELCOME.

Thank you.

Featured Art

Merry Christmas

Click images to view

Monthly Winners

December COTM Winner

Holiday Tradition © AmirA

Announcements!

Happy Halloween

Monthly Competitions

JANUARY CONTEST

Hammer ~ Deep Winter ~ Baby It's Cold Outside ~ January 2018 Contest Album is HERE

DECEMBER CONTEST

Nightal ~ The Drawing Down ~ Christmas Cards from the Attic ~ December 2017 Contest Winners

Nightal ~ The Drawing Down ~ Fairies of Winter ~ December 2017 Contest Winners

2018 Challenge of the Month

NEW!!

January 2018 Challenge of the Month (COTM)

"Paradise"

Details here .

Weekly Competitions

Your Art

Giveaway of the Day

Welcome and do follow me.

Come visit with all in here, have some coffee or your favorite beverage and have loads of fun. The bar staff and keeper are always here to fill your orders.

This is our gathering place where we will share greetings, pass secrets, gossip, and enjoy each others company.  

Jherrith has agreed to fire up the grill on the weekends with some of his tasty specials.....and the COFFEE will always be hot and fresh. Especially with Fafnir and his bevy of waitresses.

Spring Fever by oldeekdog

Author Topic: Work entertainment  (Read 1069 times)

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Kianna shall see you now
    • Jherriths Lair
Work entertainment
« on: November 05, 2017, 06:14:20 AM »
Decided to sort of break out my rants, whines and so forth from the main coffee shoppe thread just in case any were tired of hearing about it or just wondering when I was going to get over it.

Well, I probably will never get over it, so since this a thread away from the main one, thou can read or not as desired and get on with the other earth shattering topics that we and everyone else here talks about in great, painful and excruciating detail.

So the first thought that makes one go :ummm:

Why is it that when ever any of the system techs, with the exception of one (the lead tech) have a question they call me... the "installer" for answers?

Have not figured that one out, case in point the tech for Seminole calls and wanted to know the gate code for the tower site next to the hospital, I was working at last week. He didn't know they had put a fence up, okay he has been in the hospital himself with a major problem. So I understand why he would not be aware of the change.

However, why are you calling me instead of the tech's assigned to that site? Or the shop manager?
                No, I did not say that to him ... I answered his question as to what he needed to do as the site now takes a soft key and code instead of just rolling up to the door as in the past.

But it does make me wonder, since I feel (real or perceived) as being treated as a bottom feeder or less then the dust beneath ones feet ... why do you call me instead of the other techs or the manager?

Other tech's and the manager are to keep their phones on and answer them as needed 24/7 ... so again why am I getting the call?

:ummm:

Just wondering :ummm:
"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Fighting Slave of Gor by John Norman

Offline heddheld

• Heddcase
  • 1000 Grand Roller
Re: Work entertainment
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 06:51:30 AM »

a radical answer here I'm afraid

but just maybe your a REALLY nice guy .............you help peoples and never yell at them
you find answers instead of more problems

all these people feel safe calling you ........know they will get an answer that works

is time to feel special and not PUT ON  :Hi5:

Online Chiron

• Centaur of the Universe
  • High Roller
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:39:19 AM »
I'm afraid Hedd is right: as long as you give, they take. Taking advantage of your availability doesn't cost them a cent.
Or would you expect understanding, kindness, gratitude, appreciation or a reward whatsoever from an organization?

I think you'll have to find the right person. Say for instance your boss: a friendly chat, a vague mention of your doctor recommending you to reduce the stress, a few blood pressure pills swallowed nonchalantly, asking how about a possible leave of absence for health reasons, a fleeting hint that one can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once... either he's an idiot (and then you'll better be looking for a new job anyway), or he'll feel forced to find a suitable solution - it's his job after all - lest he may have to replace a valuable asset at any moment without warning.
 :thumb_up:
"I can resist everything but temptation" (Oscar Wilde)

Offline Aelin

• The Seeker
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • archaeologist and cheerleader of Attic
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 07:42:40 AM »
Like Hedd, I think if they ask to you it's because they know either you have the answer, or you'll be able to bring them toward the answer.

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Straight Jackets are FREE
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 09:29:30 AM »
I agree with all of the above statements....and we've had the discussion before my friend when we have our phone chats.

Had this girl at the plant who was an excellent worker...but unfortunately most of the work she did was not hers....but solving problems for others.  She was efficient, very good hearted, and very taken advantage of.  So my boss and I had to call her in before it got to far out of hand.  We told her it's fine to help people...but help them by showing them where they can find the answer...not finding the answer yourself and solving the problem for them.  They will NEVER learn and always come back for more answers (the easy way out) and never care if you get behind...or worse yet,  fired for getting behind.

It's good to teach...if you were in a teaching position at your job...you're not.  You're an installer.  And do you think for a minute any of those you helped go back to their boss or your boss and say "Yup, that Michael really helped us out"?   

Show them where to look and let them do the legwork...not you.
We Shall Stand

Offline Twisted.Illusions

• Gothic Queen
  • 1000 Grand Roller
  • "Demon, where did my Angel go?"
    • Enchanted By Darkness
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 06:03:47 PM »
I'm afraid Hedd is right: as long as you give, they take. Taking advantage of your availability doesn't cost them a cent.

Had this girl at the plant who was an excellent worker...but unfortunately most of the work she did was not hers....but solving problems for others.  She was efficient, very good hearted, and very taken advantage of. 

OMG that sounds like me at my 6 am job... I'm not the scanning coordinator but an assistant......Guess who they call/page by name? Yes, me. Why cause when store managers or dept. managers need something done ASAP, I was told(by scanning coordinator when she trained me) to drop everything and take care of what they ask for first...and since I'm fast and don't say "I'll add it to the list of things to do" like the coordinator does, I get screwed. I have assistant mangers asking me why I don't take the coordinator's job(she'll be retiring in about 5-6 yrs) and my answer always is the same thing..."Cause you guys demand to much for little pay and no appreciation of employees"(I only tell this to the asst. managers that are actually cool and really know how shitty this company is with they workers).... So since I'm good at what I do(and yes, I'm showing off cause  I'm to damn good at what I do, lol) and the other 2 ladies on my dept. are slow, I get all the load...
 :upurs3:
"If I got rid of my Demons, I'd lose my Angels"
-T.W.

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 04:52:30 AM »
Well, heaven forbid anyone should show initiative.

Asked for ye ole nit to pick up a piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe and then dig up mounting hardware to attach it to the mast holding the antenna for the paging transmitter.

So yes, he actually found the pipe and even found hardware to mount it, but do you think he had enough intelligence to bring it out to the job site so it could have been installed?

Seriously ... why does one have to tell a person every step of the way what to frelling do ?????????

Because what did I find him doing when I got back to the shop, if you guessed sitting there surfing Facebook go to the head of the class.

If there had been a little initiative on his part, he could have brought that out along with the desktop remotes which would have been mentioned to him and then the whole job could have been wrapped up and at that point it would have been on the hospital as to why it is not working ... they have yet to provide port assignments for connectivity to tie it into the network.

But, nooooooooooooooooo now we have to make another trip out there for about an hours worth of work :rat-atat:
"But who is stronger, truly, I asked myself, he who continues to wound and bleed himself to please others, or he who refuses any longer to do so?"

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 05:03:08 AM »
Found out the back story to the phone call on Saturday, it first went to the ole project manager who in his infinite wisdom said to call me as I would probably have a code that worked.

Logic does not seem to be anyone's strong point here

Code was given to us to install a new core system for the city of ... code was valid only for the length of time for the installation.

I am just an installer so therefore due to being at the bottom of the chain I would not have a code that still worked after the install was completed.

A system tech would have that information, not me ...

But, as mentioned ye ole project manager is apparently not capable of reasoning out something of that nature.

Oh and yes, the system techs who would have had the answer, both conveniently chose to not answer their phones

How quaint

Online Chiron

• High Roller
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 05:28:36 AM »
Intelligence cannot be learned but with proper encouragement it can be simulated plausibly enough.

Must I remind you that there other uses for a 3/4" galvanized pipe than mounting transmitters?
Use a little bit of flux paste if you don't want to be too harsh a teacher, else use the threaded end... :grin:

P.S.: if it doesn't work try with an 1" pipe.

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 05:40:34 AM »
I am a feared it might actually require 2-3/8" galvanized mast pipe to get his attention ... let alone penetrate whatever his skull is made of ...

:iminnocent:

But I like how your mind works :heeheehee:

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 05:42:27 AM »

But, nooooooooooooooooo now we have to make another trip out there for about an hours worth of work :rat-atat:

I guess on the plus side though, it does get me out of the shop for several hours, and away from all of that scintillating intelligence being displayed

Online Chiron

• High Roller
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 06:10:21 AM »
I guess on the plus side though, it does get me out of the shop for several hours, and away from all of that scintillating intelligence being displayed

Ever thought of trying with some minor brain surgery? I'm thinking of implanting a prosthesis, a Z80 would probably do   :icu:

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 05:26:45 AM »
Damn it was wonderful, was out of the shop for almost 6 hours. Had a couple of oops while there, tis why it took so long, but they were minor ones like needed to make an additional three cables. :o_go_on: I make them things in my sleep and way to damn fast if truth be told. Did have an interesting "fail" on one of those specialty connection cables, even though it is a pass through connector it did something crazy. All though the wires landed on the right pins, the back side of those wires got bunched up under two other pins, so in other words we had a short and that was why we couldn't get it to key up. Once we figured it out and fixed it all was working properly once more.

Can't say I have had that occur before :thud:

Online Chiron

• High Roller
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
Can't say I have had that occur before :thud:

Alas, I do! The cable list of the contraption we completed a couple of years ago is 9 pages long, and a 10th page lists up 48 different types of connectors.
Now guess who was volunteered to check them...  :sad:

Online Jherrith

• Doctor of the Attic
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
    • Jherriths Lair
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 09:03:28 PM »
Indeed Motorola has the same desire to complicate things with the number of and different pin outs for every single frelling device......

Drives me up the wall and on occasions that is a very short trip

Poser and Daz

Click images to go to SmithMicro and Daz to read all about the programs.

Poser Pro got even better this year.

They have made it easier on content creators by integrating Poser Pro Game Dev into Poser Pro 11.

Now the content creators can create for runtimes and games with only one program!

Poser 11PoserPro 11 Daz Studio--Free

attic_468x175.jpg