2017 Community Gift Pages

Thanks to all the participants this year that made them extra special for everyone. All gifts will remain posted until moved sometime in February 2018.

Forum Directory

Main Cell

button  Asylum TOS

button  Gallery How To's

button  Forum Hints

The Solarium

button  Our Gallery

button  Sponsors Showcase

button  Contact Us

button  W.I.P Cell

Poser Ward

button  News and Updates

button  Q & A

button  Tutorials

Freebies Conservatory

button  AtticFreezone [Freestuff]

button  Aelin's Fantastic Finds

button  llexandro's Hideaway

Contests Wing

button

Contest Info

button  Monthly Contests

button  Weekly Contests

button

Connect With Us!

button  Banner Exchange

Follow fantasiesrealm on Twitter Follow fantasiesrealm on Pinterest

The Realms Market at Deviant Art

Voting Booth

Click image to go cast your vote,
 then go
 here
===> 2018 voting thread!
to post it in the forum!

Award Info

10,000 votes - Platinum Award
5,000 votes - Gold Award
2,500 votes - Silver Award
1,000 votes - Bronze Award
300 votes - Pewter Award

100 votes - Copper Award

2018 Voting Awards

100 Votes 300 Votes

Donations

xmassleigh

We have many special projects and every now and then a Special Cause that requires your generous help.

There are times when we do a collection to help a member in need of assistance and all those proceeds go directly to that member.

All donations of what ever size are WELCOME.

Thank you.

Featured Art

Merry Christmas

Click images to view

Monthly Winners

December COTM Winner

Holiday Tradition © AmirA

Announcements!

Happy Halloween

Monthly Competitions

JANUARY CONTEST

Hammer ~ Deep Winter ~ Baby It's Cold Outside ~ January 2018 Contest Album is HERE

DECEMBER CONTEST

Nightal ~ The Drawing Down ~ Christmas Cards from the Attic ~ December 2017 Contest Winners

Nightal ~ The Drawing Down ~ Fairies of Winter ~ December 2017 Contest Winners

2018 Challenge of the Month

NEW!!

January 2018 Challenge of the Month (COTM)

"Paradise"

Details here .

Weekly Competitions

Your Art

Giveaway of the Day

Author Topic: PD Artist and HOwler are now version 11  (Read 109 times)

Offline DarkAngel

• Queen of Confusion
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Madness abounds so don't make me eat you.
    • Fantasies Realm
PD Artist and HOwler are now version 11
« on: August 08, 2017, 08:05:43 PM »
This is the page to let you know about these programs: http://www.thebest3d.com/pda/index11.html

PD Artist is a digital painting program with many features. Unlike Howler, Artist does not do animation so you animators need to look into PD Howler.

Puppy Ray  was added in Version 9 but in version 11 has added great new features to Puppy Ray, such as the water plane with waves, reflection and refraction.

PD Artist is made for painting. There are a lot of brushes. And a lot of types of brushes. This program is brush-centric, brush-focused. Brushilicious.

Requirements:
New with version 11: Your GPU (if you want to use it in Puppy Ray, and who doesn't?) needs to support Shader level 6.

If you run Direct X 11 you're probably fine, but it is best to check it. If you have doubts or run on an old PC, with old graphics card, try the demo version first.

We recommend running on 64-bit versions of Windows. We recommend Windows 10. Or Windows 7, or 8.

Project Dogwaffle is essentially a Windows app. It is a 32-bit application, but runs well on 64-bit systems because there's more memory, and better graphics drivers. The new versions of Dogwaffle use the GPU too. For proper support of the GPU, you'll need DIrectX 11.

It may still run on Windows XP and Vista but the latest versions of Dogwaffle are not tested on those old Windows platforms. Also, some tools such as Puppy Ray needs the raytracing library, dr_raytrace or similar made for XP. If you are on Windows XP or Vista, and want to run PuppyRay (CPU version - the GPU version won't run on XP anyway and very doubtful it will run well on Vista) -  see the Download section for details.

A CPU with many cores is better than with just one core or a few. Core 2 or Duo is just so pre-Y2K... Your computer's CPU chip should have 4 or more cores if you want to have a really pleasant experience with anything, including Dogwaffle. Some modules are multi-threaded. So it runs faster.

If you're a professional, you'll want a Xeon with 12 cores, even 16. Or two Xeons, or AMD Opterons. Even the latest (June 2016) generation of Intel i7 can go as high as 10 cores, and with HT (Hyperthreading), that's 20 very hungry logical cores. Dogwaffle can feed that hunger. We can currently multithread up to 64 cores!

But it's also possible to run it on a Mac within the right VM or Bootcamp, or perhaps some day in a Linux box with emulation, and some other Virtual Machines. It's not all smooth sailing yet for those other operating systems though, so stick with the Windows platform for now if you can. 

We have in fact seen some users on Linux lately, with PlayOnLinux/WineHQ. It may well be possible that it also has the ability to run on a Mac under MacOS. We just don't know.

Look in the list of new features from PD Howler 11, and ignore anything related to animation or tools for working on video clips.
Fear not,
You are never alone,
I am there to comfort and guide you...
Always.

Offline dogwaffle

• Just In
Re: PD Artist and HOwler are now version 11
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:13:12 PM »
Thanks!

EVen more than v11, v11.1 summer splash update is out.  Lots of extra fine details for more realistic water. Example:

http://www.thebest3d.com/puppyray/Real-Fresnel/Real_fresnel_10.jpg

Offline HadCancer

• Attic Crusader
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 04:23:10 AM »
Just got my copy and can not wait to play with it. I promise I will not do what I did with Flame Painter , where I bought it installed it and then never touched it again.

Offline dogwaffle

• Just In
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 09:34:03 AM »
Just got my copy and can not wait to play with it. I promise I will not do what I did with Flame Painter , where I bought it installed it and then never touched it again.

I have added another free sample elevation map and render examples at www.thebest3d.com/landscapes

We do think it's a great way to make fantasy backgrounds - 3D Designer and Puppy Ray, and many filters, both for use in shaping and color things  before and after rendering. And of course to export to use in other apps like Carrara, Bryce etc...

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Straight Jackets are FREE
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 12:08:23 PM »
Most excellent.......will do a double check on the requirements but I think I'm fine....Thanks
We Shall Stand

Offline dogwaffle

• Just In
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 10:02:39 PM »
with regards to system requirements: we access the GPU directly via DirectX 11 / Shader 6 (or was it 6/)

http://www.thebest3d.com/howler/system-requirements.html

anyway.... Windows has a timeout detection and recovery of 2 seconds by default. If an app is keeping the gpu busy for more than 2 secs, Windows resets the graphics driver, and of course the app is killed.

So, if you're on a fast GPU: no worries. Even if you render 50-60 times or more for best antialiasing, as long as each and any pass is done in less than 2 seconds.
If you're on an old/slow gpu however, be sure to increase the TDR value to 5-10 seconds or even more.

more about TDR here:
http://www.thebest3d.com/howler/help/notes-on-TDR-Timeout-Detection-and-Recovery.html

I think I have mine set to 20 seconds. My gpu has only 70 cores. (compared to 2000-3000 for current latest generation gpus.)

Offline thelufias

• The Sane One
  • Administrator
  • Reckoning Force
  • Straight Jackets are FREE
    • The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:33:20 PM »
Thanks for the info...... 
We Shall Stand

Offline heddheld

• Heddcase
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »

I have an older howler (8 I think)
is great fun to play with but makes me wish I could paint lol

one thing I think its perfick for is hair maps
[ the strip type hair ]
use the optipustics (? sp ) brush an mess with settings

Offline dogwaffle

• Just In
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 12:59:22 AM »

Offline dogwaffle

• Just In
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 01:02:07 AM »
me, I prefer to explore the 3D rendering side of it.

Poser and Daz

Click images to go to SmithMicro and Daz to read all about the programs.

Poser Pro got even better this year.

They have made it easier on content creators by integrating Poser Pro Game Dev into Poser Pro 11.

Now the content creators can create for runtimes and games with only one program!

Poser 11PoserPro 11 Daz Studio--Free

attic_468x175.jpg
participial