Barbariandreams
Sanbie -- TheBrownOwl/Maggi
midnightvelvet -- Eblank
UteBigSmile -- SemiCharm
RedEyeCat (mmalbert)
theKatster
Summoner

Newsy ??

has extended their offer so now you get 10% off any order -- valid from now until December 31, 2018

... use this coupon code: FAC0616

Tell you friends about this offer too so all can save.

Forum Directory

Main Cell

button  Asylum TOS

button  Gallery How To's

button  Forum Hints

The Solarium

button  Our Gallery

button  Sponsors Showcase

button  Contact Us

button  Header Art

button  Anime and Manga

Poser Ward

button  News and Updates

button  Q & A

button  Tutorials

Conservatory

button  AtticFreezone

button  Aelin's Fantastic Finds

Contests Wing

button

Contest Info

button  Monthly Contests

button  Weekly Contests

Connect With Us!

button  Banner Exchange

Fantasies Realm Market @ Twitter Fantasies Realm Market @ FaceBook Fantasies Realm Market @ DeviantArt Fantasies Realm Market @ Google+ Fantasies Realm Market @ Pinterest FRM/Fantasies Attic @ LuLu

Twitter - FB - DA - Google+ - Pinterest - Lulu

Voting Booth

Click image to go cast your vote,
 then go
 here
===> 2018 voting thread!
to post it in the forum!

Award Info

Votes Need --- Award

10,000 -- Platinum Award
     5,000 --- Gold Award
     2,500 --- Silver Award
     1,000 --- Bronze Award
        300 --- Pewter Award
        100 --- Copper Award

2018 Voting Awards

100 Votes 300 Votes 1000 Votes 2500 Votes 5000 Votes 2018 Platinum

Donations

We have many special projects and every now and then a Special Cause that requires your generous help.

There are times when we do a collection to help a member in need of assistance and all those proceeds go directly to that member.

All donations of what ever size are WELCOME.

Thank you.

Featured Art

Happy Halloween

Click images to view

Weekly Winners

SAOTW
Portrait: Alma © Seliah

TOTW

Ragnamir © Artienne

Your Art Winner

Autumn Colours © MilosGulan

Monthly Winners

September COTM Winner

Curious Visitor © mtdana

Announcements!

Album is HERE
Album is HERE

SEPTEMBER CONTEST WINNERS

Elient ~ The 11th Annual Magical School Daze ~ Hot Teacher ~ Sept. 2018 Contest

Winners Announced HERE

NEW!!

OCTOBER 2018 Challenge of the Month (COTM)

The Monster Challenge
Contest Ends on October 31st, 2018

Album is HERE

~Weekly Competitions~

Your Art

Giveaway of the Day

Author Topic: Magnetize and paint brushes, Poser 2010 and Vue 9  (Read 1198 times)

Offline HadCancer

• Attic Crusader
  • 1000 Grand Roller
Magnetize and paint brushes, Poser 2010 and Vue 9
« on: November 14, 2012, 05:31:43 PM »
Hi there,
I would like some answers to problem I have had since forever. First I will let you know I use Poser Pro 2010, Adobe Photo Elements 6, and Vue 9 Espirit.

1st question: Vue will no longer import Poser scene. I get message in Vue to for me to contact Smith Micro for support. I have been that route before. Smith Micro Customer support for legacy products is sadly lacking. Any ideas why it stopped?

2nd question. I used the gift cert won here to get Bada Bing over at RDNA. I was surprised how well it's magnetize morph work on the clothes. I have tried the DAZ magnetize for clothing and it never works most of the time for me. I never really used the "Magnetize" option in V4. I just hit conform and if I got a lot of poke though I fixed with dials or Photoshop. The last time I actually bought something was Tenchi Warrior both the outfit and the figure. The gloves and shoes conformed OK, but the Main outfit did not. It was full of poke troughs. I though it would at leat conform to the character that went with the out fit. I tried the dials, but even that did not really work. I ended up with the old clone in Photoshop. I site mailed the vendor and he told me I had to magnetize the outfit . I conformed and clicked on Daz V4 magnetize but nothing happened. Still fubared, I never wrote the vendor back. I figured I was missing something. With the Bada  Bing product I magnetized to  V4 just like I did for Tenchi and of course it looked terrible, but product had its own morphs and WOW I was amazed the the clothing snapped out to fit. My question is why does not it work that way with V4 clothing for other characters?

Last question, way back when I bought a bunch of Ron's brushes when they were on sale. I got Blood, waves, splashes,smoke, grunge, and more, but try as I might I could not get result anywhere close to the  Vendor's product picture. I found the brushes were just shape templates. I still had to add the color. The two things I can not figure out how to do is get realistic looking blood, water, or metal reflections to the color. I can select a color, but no choice I can see  to make shine like metal or blood etcetera. I have found effect's  boxes that say like chrome or glowing or neon, but when I click those It does not transfer the effect to the brush for some reason. I probably am doing something wrong.

Offline Wenchie

• Wenchie the Pooh
  • Just In
Re: Magnetize and paint brushes, Poser 2010 and Vue 9
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 11:23:19 AM »
Hey, HC . . . I can try to un-muddy the water around the brush issue.  The easiest way to make a brush look like blood or metal or glass or water (you get the idea) is to stamp it on a separate layer and then apply a pre-made effects style.  There are a few default styles that are included in all of the PS versions, but there is also a WEALTH of free ones for the downloading all over the web.  A Google search of "Photoshop Styles" or "Free Photoshop Styles" will keep you busy for a month.  The next month you can make an account at Deviant Art and start going through all the  sets of free styles available there.  (I am a Style Junkie . . . I know of which I speak.  *giggle*)

I have found a couple links that should be helpful to get you started.

PS Layer Style Effects Tutorials and Tips 

I have a good friend that does all her work with Elements 4 so I know that most styles work just fine in her program and therefore they should work in your version that is a bit newer. 

Do not miss the bit about scaling effects . . . it is the KEY to making the effect fit and look right on different size brushes/elements.  (This is a tip I found written for PS Elements in general, I hope it applies to your version.)

"If you are using a layer style that appears too large or too small (in pattern size), you may adjust the pattern size in this manner: Click on the Layer tab at the top of PSE screen (in the Menu bar). In the drop-down menu, click on Layer Style, then on Scale Effects. You may simply enter a percentage in the box provided. Alternatively, you may click on the down-pointing arrow next to the percentage to get a sliding scale. Just grab the tab on the scale and move it back and forth until you are happy with the result."

FREE PS Layer Style Effects 

If you are still having problems, please don't hesitate to holler.

Offline HadCancer

• Attic Crusader
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:58:27 PM »
Thanks for the info and links. I tries to do the tutorial, but some things just were not there. I finally gave up. I played around with my version and finally figured out you have to paint the something and then apply the style. I was trying the opposite and that is why it did not work. I downloaded some of the styles but will have to go back to see were to put them. It looks like they were just files and I will have to put them in the right directory. However there was on Zip file . I played around the styles on something. Interesting changes happened. I did the "Chrome" on and the Neon one and was kind of disappointed in that there was no shine to either of them. I probably did something wrong as usual. I do not have a blood texture, but there was a water texture with slide bar for ripples and things. I played with it but got nothing that looked like water sadly. However I guess with the right style in may work. Kind of a shame Ron did not include the style with his brushes. I can only guess that the more advanced Photoshop's have the styles already. I know in the tutorial the person was using Photoshop 6. The person used a pen tool I do not have. I have a pencil which for some reason will not do anything. I can not even get it to go into the layer I applied. Also he used either the alt or ctrl key to do something. I forget which ket it was, but when I tried it I got the eye dropper tool. ( I have not idea what it is used for). The effect was it locked up that layer so nothing more could be added. I guess that is what the eye dropper does. I looked at another tutorial and I think it wwas done by the same person as they were using Photoshop 6 and using things I do not have or have in a different place. After doing some searching I did find the shapes, but it was in a totally different place on my element. Other aspects just were not there. I had to use chrome on the site as IE9 hated the site and I kept getting script error messages. I will have to search for those files that I download as Good old explorer in window refused to put a date on downloads from any other browser but IE. I bet the bastards killed Kenny too. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. I learned I have to put it on a separate layer and then apply the style effect. Something I did not know before. Now I have to find a realistic blood and water style. I would like to find a realistic chrome too but I think that is beyond my little program as i can not reproduce the color silver. I suspect I might be able to do a wave using a blue layer, light green layer and while with clear style. I will have to experiment to see if it works. Thank you very much Wenchie. I saw on that page it even had a tutorial on how to do animated gif i think. That is something I always wished I could do. Just hope my Photoshop can do that. :ty_luv:

Offline HadCancer

• Attic Crusader
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »
Rats I downloaded a sliver style, only to read as it was downloading it is only good for 7 or higher.

Offline Wenchie

• Wenchie the Pooh
  • Just In
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
Style files end in .asl and they do need to go in the right spot so PS can find them, and so you can make use of them. 

I did a Google search for "install styles in Photoshop Elements 6" and this was the first hit I got.  Clicky here. I skimmed through it and it looks like it is thorough without being too overly complicated.  If that one doesn't explain it so you can get it done, then perhaps try another Google search along those lines.  It looked like there were LOTS and LOTS of hits for PS Elements 6 tutorials.

I am not sure which tutorial you were attempting on that page I linked you to as it was full of tutorials, but if your PS Elements is too different and you can't translate regular PS tutorials for it, then it is probably best to search for tutorials specifically made for your version of elements.  And if you learn better from videos, rather than reading, I know YouTube has a wealth of tutorials for Elements as I have looked for them for my friend I mentioned earlier. 

Did you see where I said in my first comment that the key to making many styles look  right is by SCALING them?  I can't emphasize it enough.  Some styles are made for small objects and need to be scaled up to look right on larger objects and some are made for 300 dpi objects intended for print and need to be scaled way down for smaller things like text.  I had a friend who bought some styles and ended up deleting them because they didn't look right when she applied them.  She was just applying them with one click and expecting them to look exactly like the preview pictures.  That happens once in awhile, but you usually have to do some minor tweaking to get the best results. Once she learned to scale styles, she re-downloaded them, scaled them down to 20% or so and they worked perfectly on the smaller projects she liked to create.

I suspect if a style called "chrome" does not look shiny when applied is because the scale is wrong for the object you are applying it to.  Once you mess with the scale I am almost positive it will take on a shiny silver look.  And you absolutely can recreate silver in your PS Elements.  Silver is simply created by a combination of gray and white and black pixels and your Elements has all three of those colors and many variations of them to boot!

As for not knowing what the basic tools are, you need to find a User Manual for PS Elements 6 that you can refer to for such questions.  I found several when I searched just now, and here is a link for one you can download directly from Adobe. Clicky here.   That should help you with those basic questions like, "What is this eyedropper tool for?"  It's actually the color picker.  And very handy IF you are trying to pick a color.  Not so helpful if clicking it locks up your layer and you don't know how to unlock it! If the Adobe one isn't good for you, I saw others available for free. (There are also ones that you can pay for, but you do NOT need to.  Not when "free" is so readily available.)

I just checked, and PSE6 does not have the pen tool, but whatever was being done with the pen tool in that tutorial, can be done with another selection tool.  I've been using PS heavily for 8 years and I have never bothered to learn the pen tool.  It has a rather steep learning curve and I haven't run into anything I wanted to do, that I couldn't do with another tool.  Once I learned how to use the polygonal lasso to make selections, I just never felt the need to learn another tool that does the same thing.

And now I will mention that sometimes indeed styles and brushes are not made for older versions of PS, but I will also mention that some creators say things aren't for them because they simply haven't been tested and proven to work in them.  If it is free and something you are really interested in, I think it might be worth trying it out to see if it works.  I wouldn't pass things up simply because they are labeled for CS2 and up, or whatever. (How many things are marked that they don't work in DAZ, because the creator doesn't use DAZ or test in DAZ, but the product actually works fine in DAZ if you give it a try?  LOTS and it is the same for PS styles and brushes and gradients and patterns and shapes.)  If you don't want to take a chance on something that might not work, I am sure there are tons of things for the snagging that are made to work in your version of PSE. 

If you especially want a blood style or water style, I would suggest Googling "water styles for PS Elements" or something specific like that.  Sometimes it is fun to do a general search, but sometimes you just want exactly what you are looking for.  Doesn't cost anything to do a new search if the hits aren't to your liking! 

Good luck, HC.  And keep hollering if there is anything I can maybe help you with. Styles are my favorite thing in PS--in my opinion they are worth fighting for.

And one more thing . . . you absolutely can make animated gifs in PSElements 6 and here is a WHOLE PAGE of tutorials telling you how to do it!  Goodness I do love Google! Have fun, my friend!

Offline HadCancer

• Attic Crusader
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »
Thank you so much I am going to book make all those pages and download the manual. I got the Photoshop second hand so i did not get a manual. I will look up what the scaling is, as I do not think I saw a dial or button on it. you did so much work for me I can not thank you enough. I used to use a different program that came with my Dell computer back in the days you computer would come with a bunch of stuff other than windows. but I lost it in a computer failure and always had a problem in guessing the size of the JPG. Least this one has a save for the web thingy and you can see how big the file is going to be. Again a BIG THANK_YOU, I hope someone comes up with easy answer to my other 2 questions.

Offline Wenchie

• Wenchie the Pooh
  • Just In
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:29:47 PM »

I will look up what the scaling is, as I do not think I saw a dial or button on it.
Did the paragraph explaining how to scale a style that I copied and pasted in my first comment, not help?  I just checked and it is located in the same place in your version of Elements as it is in my PS so here is a screen cap showing how you get to the scale dialog box.  I have also included the scale adjustment box where you type in a percentage or slide the slider up or down, on the screencap for illustrative purposes.  It is going to look a bit different from what you own, but I hope the menus and the scale feature will be similar enough to give you a good idea what you are looking for and where to find it. 

(From the top menu) Click on Layer > Layer Styles > Scale Effects . . . a dialog box will pop up.  Type in a percentage or slide the slider.  Make sure "preview" is ticked so you can see the changes as you make them.  (And remember that nothing will happen unless you have a layer with a layer style applied, and have it highlighted and active before you try to bring up the scale dialog box.  Otherwise, the choices are there, but grayed out and un-clickable.)

I hope you get answers to your other questions, too.

Offline HadCancer

• Attic Crusader
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 02:46:27 PM »
Excellent, Now I will find it, as the manual i down loaded was awful strange. As it was Adobe I expected to get a PDF file but was surprised it was full of Jpg's and GIF's and HTML files. I saw nothing in it to tie it all together, very stange. but with you help I guess I do not need it. Again,  :ty_luv: :ty_luv: :ty_luv:

Offline Wenchie

• Wenchie the Pooh
  • Just In
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 09:51:19 PM »
Can I just vent that the Adobe website is pretty dang screwed up?  The link for the user guide was not at all what it was supposed to be.  I didn't download it to check before giving you the link. I assumed a link on the Adobe site for a User Guide for one of their products would actually be just that!  Silly me! My apologies for steering your wrong.

I have just jumped through many fiery hoops to find a link to the actual User Guide.  It's there on Adobe's site, but it is hidden.  Many Google search pages in, I finally landed here, and then here (this page is getting bookmarked just in case I need it again later) and then finally found a link to the guide in PDF form :twinks: HERE :twinks: !   Hallelujah!

Sheesh!  It should not be that hard!  Good thing I am like a dog with a bone that won't let go once I decide to figure something like this out.  An hour of my life I will never get back, but now your REALLY have a link to the actual Adobe Elements 6 User Guide despite Adobe doing their best to hide it from us--the dirty rats probably did kill Kenny! 

Hope it helps, HC.  And you are ever so welcome, m'dear.

Offline HadCancer

• Attic Crusader
  • 1000 Grand Roller
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 05:12:09 PM »
Amazing! I bookmarked the link so I can go back and read it. Sorry, you  worked so hard on something you already knew. I looked at the page you book marked, but since I do not have any of the products listed and for financial reasons never will I did not book mark it.
Again thank you for all the time and effort you put in my friend.  :happydance:

H.C.

Poser and Daz

Click images to go to SmithMicro and Daz to read all about the programs.

Poser Pro got even better this year.

They have made it easier on content creators by integrating Poser Pro Game Dev into Poser Pro 11.

Now the content creators can create for runtimes and games with only one program!

Poser 11PoserPro 11 Daz Studio--Free

attic_468x175.jpg